Sign in to follow this  
2cents

Financial Solo game development as feasible profit-oriented business?

Hi guys,
I'm junior engineer and I have one goal in mind: I'd like to beat my current net salary (40-60k)  in the time frame of 24 months, by starting a solo part-time business, which would over time hopefully grow into full-time activity. Let me point out that the business would be primarily profit-oriented, which means that the 1st priority is to generate targeted amount of income, followed by "doing what I like to do".
I have thought about game development being one possible business to achieve my goals. And before you jump on me that I'm trying to do something without any experience,  I'm able to tell you, that I'm not entirely unexperienced in the field of game development. In fact, As a hobbyst I have developed handful number of small flash games, covering the art, programming, game design and sound production by myself, so the whole idea - at least from the standpoint of implementation of a small 2D game - might not be that much of wishful thinking. In addition, during my studies I was also developing C# apps in the scope of enterprise solutions, in order to earn some pocket money. 
In regards to game development I have done some googling, which suggested, that game development market is business-wise, almost the same as music production market - overly saturated, high entry barrier, high probability to fail, and for most of the producers, a mediocre payment accordingly to requirements. In business terms, this might be labelled under high-risk/low-reward business. Or in other words,in game development I might have as much chanches to earn 40-60k NET a year as I would have in music production.
What is your consensus about this?

CLIFFS OF THREAD:

If you are solely profit oriented, avoid the game dev business like the plague. /thread[background=#ffffff] [/background]

Edited by 2cents

Sure, you stand about as much chance of netting $60k/a as a solo game developer/entrepreneur with little to no applicable experience as you would as a pro musician, pro sports player, or pro actor in the same boat.

I mean, you know, you might have played on your high school football team, tossed a ball around with some friends every day after school, own at least 3 Nikes, and watch Sunday Gridiron Shouty Extravaganza religiously for years making better calls than the coaches down on the sidelines, so the NFL should be offering you a contract as a starting quarterback, yes?

I guess it would be better to invest my time and effort anywhere else, but in game dev. Maybe I should go scam multi billion dollar off-shore oil companies with a black box solution, which can detect and locate a pool of oil just by pressing a red button.  

Edited by 2cents

My advice is, keep your day job and spend your free time to make a game. This way you can see just how much your skills as a developer is worth, without risking it all.

I'd never quit my job without having a reliable business running first. That would be some seriously risky shit.

Games have very low entry barrier, all you need is a engine and you can get great ones for free. Because of this it's even more saturated than the music production. practically anyone can make a game and upload it to a online store these days.

Yes, and this is why there is so many games most of them being plain rubbish. But what I actually meant is, that for a game product, the requirements to meet some kind of industry standard and to be realistically competitive, are high:

1. game has to be working and functional. Apparently 90% of dev already fail here.
2. game has to have quality and polished graphics. No polished art and developer have just increased risk of multiple fold that game won't sell (I can tell you personally, that when I see cheesy graphics, I run for the hills)
3. game has to be fun. Not a fun game is not a game. It's a boring app without purpose. This is probably the most important element of a game product, and as you can guess, it cannot be derived analytically. So even if a developer fullfills points 1 and 2, which is already an achievent, ship will sink if the game is not fun.For instance, when I was developing business application in .net, client didn't give a damn how it looked neither how fun was it. All what he cared was that it solves a problem and therefore is functional. So in case of programming business apps, only point 1 has to be fullfilled.

Edited by 2cents

Generally I would say that you are unlikely to set up a solo studio and make that kind of money without several years of development, and a couple of game releases - For one, the first game you work on will if you are aiming for a well designed game take like a year or so if you contract out artwork etc, but then youre paying for the art in the game (which can be pretty costly). Of course if youre good you can do the art yourself. Audio - Contract out or do yourself?

I mean I have friends who run an Indie studio, they were a couple when they started it and now about 2 years down the line they are making (between them) around 25 - 30k will a game released on steam and a second game being worked on, though most of their income is from freelance contract work still.

On the other hand, I work making business applications for a company, earn more and have pretty good career growth prospects ahead so likely for a fair while I will continue to earn more, just from a job and whether they hit the same income or not remains to be seen.

Basically, it is possible to earn that from a solo studio, though its fairly unlikely and will most likely take a long time to build up a reputation as a studio for having fun / good quality games unless you happen to strike a goldmine idea that people love.

If you're an extremely talented game designer (most people are not) and a somewhat talented programmer, know a somewhat talented artist willing to partner up with you, both have enough savings to pay living expenses for a year plus marketing costs, and are able to network with publishers / leverage existing relationships, then you have a shot at making two above-average gamedev salaries.

I know a total of two people in that boat, and a lot of other people making way less than their living expenses, forced to work as contractors or full time to make ends meet.

so without teaming up, having an actual talent and spending 6months of net time for a product and possibly sell it on a more promising platoform like steam, I can forget about my goals. Case closed. I knew that the odds were bad, but despite I got surprised.

Nevertheless, could you suggest me some fields which may be more prospective and realistic to achive the goals outlined in the OP? Edited by 2cents

I can't think of anything legal that could get you a $40k salary working solo where you didn't already have a high level of skill to begin with. Maybe you could spend the 2 years building your skill in some area that isn't particularly glamorous and therefore full of hobbyists.

Solo devs without commercial experience can still make hits (and big money) but it's more like playing the lottery than a business plan. If that's your passion, then you can stick with it for several years of hobby time... and if it flops, hey, it's just a hobby.

I'd recommend staying with salaried jobs until you gain more experience, to the point where people would be willing to hire you as a freelancer based on your CV, or you honestly look around your workplace and can say "I can do this better by myself".

I know some inexperienced indie gamedevs locally who probably make around $40k as freelancers, but that requires a lot of networking / embedding yourself into an indie "scene" IRL so that people are aware of your service (like any business: marketing is essential to create a market for your product), and requires a great dash of luck.

You could make some kind of niche gamedev tool, and sell it or do a crowdfunding campaign to finish it. e.g. Sprite lamp comes to mind, which raised over $20k USD in funding... Throw in after-crowdfunding sales and a bit of freelancing and the author might've been able to claw himself up to $40k USD/year...

That path would probably require a shitload of prototyping of loads of ideas, in a quest for something truly innovative and exciting... which you should probably do while salaried, and then make the decision to start a business once you've struck gold.

As many others have pointed out: If you are solely profit oriented, avoid the game dev business like the plague.

Not because you cannot make a ton of money in it... many studios are HIGHLY successfull! But these most of the time are bigger shops and have been in the business for decades before becoming highly successfull.

Not because you couldn't become BILLIONAIRE (see Notch, altough he technically wasn't a lone Indie) as a single individual. But then even the ones much less successfull needed a streak of luck to achieve the success they had similar to winning the lottery.

The big question is: Why? Why would you do this to you, try to force your luck in the game dev business if really all you are interested in is improving your salary? When you can easely climb the ladder in the corporate IT world and make double what you make today with a decent senior job in the right company, even before you go up the management ladder.

Is this a fun career? Well, depends on what you call "fun"... then again, developing games for a living is also not just "fun and games", and really, at some point MOST people have to decide wheter they want to maximize profit or the "fun factor" in their professional career... not many people achieve making millions by surfing at hawaiian beaches for a living, and the ones that do only do so with hard work AND a ton of luck. Unless want to bet on your luck, your hard work is better spent in a less high risk / low reward environment.

Only try to get into game development professionally if you REALLY think you will enjoy working on games way more than working on business software or filling out financial spreadsheets, to the point you would accept a paycut and worse working conditions just for that.

And lets not forget, building up your own company often takes 5+ years just to start making a profit, and is by far not the quickest way to start rake in more cash.

My 2cents as someone not working in games, but as a longtime hobby dev with a interest in everything about game development

Edited by Gian-Reto

As many said, creating games on your own just to make profit is quite hard and risky, especially since there are quite a few large companies focused on just that. 

An alternative solution could be to create prototypes of games, and try to sell them to the aforementionned companies. But for it to work, you'd need to prove to the company that your concept can work. If it's an existing concept, then they probably won't need to buy yours, since it's already out there, and they can just adapt it to their games in a different enough way to ensure they don't get sued.

There is a really interesting talk from Jake Birkett, founder of Grey Alien Games, who makes game almost on his own, and talks about his experience, and how he makes a kind of living out of it: http://greyaliengames.com/blog/the-no-hit-wonder-my-gdc-2016-talk/ 

If I were you, I would focus more on finding out what is the one thing I dream of doing, and then looking at how to do it and monetize it, and make good profit out of it. It is not going to be an easy path (it's actually quite hard and scary), but from my experience, it's the best way to ensure you are consistently enjoying what you do, and it's then that you become the most efficient when working (since it no longer feels like working).

Maybe it is a profit oriented. But single only development will be use so much time. We wanna be a little comand, but when developments starts we all need more men [/size]

Edited by Tom Sloper
apparent recruitment wording deleted

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Announcements

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By templar_vii
      A big game project contains a lot of runtime data like
      List of all world objects List of all players Game states Viewport ... I have to pass a lot of these data to most of my classes. So I have a huge list of parameters in every constructor.
      What's the best practice to avoid this mass of parameters? Is it recommended to summarize all data to one class (something like "GameData") and pass this container to all methods and classes? Is there a common name for this container in game development? I'm a bit worried, because if I pass this class to all classes and methods, I get something like a global variable.
      Thanks a lot for your advice!
    • By Tootooni
      Good day dear people

I'm completely new here and very nervous to be honest. I started with 3D-Design at my traineeship and can slowly start with my ideas for a survival/rpg game in 3d But since I only used RPG Makers until now I wonder how is the best way to start with a game, and what I would need for that.

Have a wonderful day! ^.^)/)

Tootooni
    • By Jesse "Chime" Collins
      Welcome to the fourth entry to Indie Marketing For N00bs. This week, we’re going to talk about some things that most developers fail to really follow through on: Marketing Plans. These are both fundamental additions to any successful game on the market. We’re going to take the time here to really explain the importance of these tools, what they’re used for, and how to create them yourself.
      PLAN? I Don’t Need No Stinkin’ PLAN!
      You’ve designed a game. Go you. What is the first thing most developers do before they make the game, though? They create a game design document, which entails the plan for what’s going into the game, how it’ll be implemented, and something that can be followed through or be utilized by a publisher that wants to take your game under their wing. In theory, you already know how to do exactly this, so why aren’t you designating time to do the same thing for other aspects of the process?
      A marketing plan is your personal guideline to what needs to be done early on, as well as in post-development when it comes to marketing, public relations, social media, and community management. It’s big, generally. But, it helps developers know when they need to make a post or a blog, or when they need to make an announcement due to hitting a target. This includes when you should do “Dev Diaries” or how often you should tweet. Make a plan and stick to it.
      I Love It When A Marketing Plan Comes Together!
      Everyone has a different method for their own versions of a marketing plan. Some people do a simple outline with key points and some people go above and beyond for a true precision strike outward (For instance: My plans tend to be between 9 and 11 pages, including a title page).
      I mentioned earlier that the plan can be for a publisher. If you ever plan to get picked up by a publisher (even the indie publishers), they want you to be as impactful as you can be autonomously. It’s less work and hassle for them if you come equipped with your own knowledge and tactics.
      But, maybe I don’t want a publisher. Why do I need a plan? Making a plan for yourself keeps you on a strict regimen to get your game out there. Will it ensure a 100% success story? Of course not. But, it will ensure that you are following my rule from previous entries to this series: “Every eye possible”.
      Know Your Audience And They Will Know You
      A plan should include two major sections, split into explanations for each one: Information and Marketing Tools.
      In the Information section, include a quick description of your game, maybe one or two paragraphs. This is to guide anyone other than yourself that may read this document. If you have any current statistics or analytics about your game or company, include a section for them. Set your goal here, as well. Make an attainable goal based on similar games on market. Knowing what you’re up against and adjusting your expectations to adhere to logic is a perfect way to set yourself up for a win.
      Additionally, do some research and figure out your demographic. Come up with a range of people that you believe your game is targeting. Include:
      Age range Is your game more mature themed? Would it appeal more to a nostalgic retro audience? Is it cartoony and kid-friendly? These aspects matter. Gender(s) With women taking to the industry in recent years, more women are likely to play your game. Take this into account here. Languages For instance, if you game is only in English and you have no plans to localize the game to Chinese, China might not be your demographic. Systems Is your game only on PC? Probably shouldn’t focus on console gamers too much then and vice versa. Is your game mobile? Why are you contacting people that only play PC games? Know your audience and it’ll help with future endeavors and needs.
      List Out All The Tools You’ll Use
      Marketing Tools should include Social Media, Video platforms, Game’s Website, Community Presence, Press, Paid Advertisements, and Software and Services you plan to use. This section is a lot bigger than the other, but it’s where the majority of the plan is laid out.
      What social media are you going to use? List them out here. We’ve discussed social media in a prior lesson, so add in any that are going to be linked to this game, no matter how small. Think of this as your reminder to post on Google+ or Instagram. How often will you be posting to each platform? Do you plan to tweet daily? Are you hitting other platforms often? Make sure to include even game developer specific platforms here as well. Any presence needs to be noted and should have a guide for how you handle each one.
      Do you plan to make videos for your game? Have you made a trailer? Will you be streaming the game during development or post-development for people to see progress or features? Make sure to include if you’re using YouTube, Twitch, or any other video platforms. How will you post these videos and how often? Will you be live for most of it on Twitch and then upload it to YouTube after? What’s the plan?
      Most indie developers don’t utilize their own website for promotion, but it’s a powerful tool to have a simple domain to send potential eyes to. This looks great on business cards, promotional materials, or any shout outs you make need. Some people even go a step further and implement a dev blog into their site. This can tie to the videos, as well, showing off aspects of the game that may not have been apparent. Dev Diaries, which can be shown on your site, are one of the easiest ways to keep community involvement during the creation of your game.
      Utilization of the forum structure is always a good way to keep community involvement, in both the traditional sense and the more modern takes. Reddit is ridiculously popular to show off progress and several sub-Reddits (specific sections dedicated to particular topics) are designed specifically for indie developers. Additionally, the use of Discord could be considered a “modern take” to the forum structure. Taking on an old-school IRC style mixed with vocal capabilities like Teamspeak or Ventrillo, Discord is designed for gamers and widely utilized as a community tool for the game industry.
      Media Shower: Wishing Among The Stars
      As we’ve discussed in an earlier lesson, the press and media are your friends. List out your plan to contact them and how you plan to keep them notified in your plan. This includes a guideline of when you plan to write press releases to get out to the media and press sites. Figure out what kinds of streamers and “Let’s Players” you want to try to contact and set a target.
      Include a full plan for a customized “press kit” in your marketing plan. I’m going to be setting “press kits” aside as its own lesson at a later date, but expect a much more substantial detailing of what should be in a standard press kit.
      Software, Services, and Ads
      As with any other game-related step out there, tools can and should be used when marketing. This can be a number of things, from minor social media tools like Hootsuite or Buffer, all the way to full analytics reporting programs like Google analytics. A popular free tool to use is Google Alerts, which can set keywords and have Google email you when something comes up in the search engine. If you intend to have people play the game in Let’s Plays, websites like Gamesight can be very helpful in tracking your game. After the game has been published, it’s important to try to get your game on such aggregates as Metacritic, not for any other reason than Twitch and other websites pull from that site for their content.
      This section should also include any paid advertising you, your publisher (if applicable), or third party will intend to use. Be concise. Since this uses real money, you can utilize the demographics designed in the first section of the marketing plan to focus the impressions and clicks. Ads can be Google, Facebook, Twitter, or a number of other platforms.
      Understand the difference between sponsored advertisements and "like" purchasing, though. It's the difference between having real eyes see your product and having some company in a click farm boost your numbers in a fake way. Fake followers and "bots"can completely mess up any intended reporting and realistic charts. You'll never know if you're actually doing good.
      Don’t forget to think out of the box, though. Marketing is only limited to your own mind. Be creative and sometimes it will pay off. Some people get a proper Wikipedia article put up for their game. If you intend to make a commercial, YouTube and Twitter can be tapped for a video-based ad. Heading to small events in your area can help get more eyes. Just make sure you have it all in your Plan.
    • By INTwindwolf
      COMPANY AND THE PROJECT

We are an indie game studio consisted of professional and friendly people. Additionally, we are a team of skilled artists and dedicated indie enthusiasts. Our current project is INT, developed on Unity Engine 5 for platforms Windows, Linux, and Mac.

INT is a 3D Sci-fi RPG with a strong emphasis on story, role playing, and innovative RPG features such as randomized companions. The focus is on the journey through a war-torn world with fast-paced combat against hordes of enemies. The player must accomplish quests like a traditional RPG, complete objectives, and meet lively crew members who will aid in the player's survival. Throughout the game you can side and complete missions through criminal cartels, and the two major combatants, the UCE and ACP, of the Interstellar Civil War.
      Please note that all of our current positions are remote work. You will not be required to travel.
      For more information about us, follow the links listed below.
      INT Official website
      Steam Greenlight
      IndieDB page
      Also follow social media platforms for the latest news regarding our projects.
      Facebook
      Twitter
      TALENT NEEDED
      We are looking for a serious and dedicated Community Manager, who will be tasked with providing regular community updates, and grow our fan base in preparation for our funding campaign.
      Duties and Responsibilities:
      Promote the INT Project through multiple Social Media outlets (E.G. Reddit, twitter, Facebook). Coordinate and work with our web admin to provide content directly to the website. Create regular updates with team highlights. This update will be shared to the broader community on IndieDB, Steam, and official INT website. Attend developer meetings and interact with the team and Project Lead to obtain highlights and material that can be used in updates. Map and manage social media analytics and report updates at team meetings. Manage and potentially host monthly INT Project podcast known as ‘RogueSpace’ and manage the INT Project’s twitch account. REQUIREMENTS
      Essential
      Advanced fluency in written English. Able to structure and create informative and visually attractive articles. Excellent self-management skills. Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written. Preferred
      Other Indie Game Developer experience. Be an avid gamer. Have played a broad collection of titles; in sync with the latest news in gaming. REVENUE-SHARE
      This is a great opportunity to get into the game development industry. Being an Indie team we do not have the creative restrictions often imposed by publishers or other third parties. We are extremely conscientious of our work and continuously uphold a high level of quality throughout our project.
      We are unable to offer wages or per-item payments at this time. However revenue-sharing from crowd-funding is offered to team members who contribute 15-20 hours per week to company projects, as well as maintain constant communication and adhere to deadlines. Currently the crowd-funding campaign is scheduled for the year 2018. Your understanding is dearly appreciated.
      TO APPLY
      Please send your Cover Letter, CV, Portfolio (if applicable), and other relevant documents/information to this email: JohnHR@int-game.net
      Thank you for your time! We look forward to hearing from you!
      John Shen
      HR Lead
      Starboard Games LLC
    • By steelstrung
      Hi all,
      I had been working on a game by myself over the last few months and decided things may go a bit faster, and I could incorporate more fresh/refined ideas into the game, if I brought a few others on board that I knew from work.
      Currently, I don't have any type of funding for the project (aside from maybe buying a couple licenses here or there), and have been focusing most on some of the work that can be done without a big investment - mostly story content, or doing some audio/graphics production pieces on the side. 
      To facilitate the story development, and keep things organized, I created a wiki where anyone I give access can add ideas and modify articles (such as locations, NPC's, etc)

I have been trying to meet every couple of weeks with everyone over Discord (we had agreed Wednesday night would work for us all) and initially got a lot of energy and productive discussion from the first meeting, but afterwards I haven't been able to get anyone together for a second meet. I understand that they are not obligated to meet every couple of weeks or even contribute, especially as I am not paying an hourly rate/salary at this point (we all agreed we would wait to talk about that until the project was more developed and we received funding), but I want to try to re-capture some of that energy and get people involved again. Myself, I contribute at least one or two articles to the wiki every week.
      I had also been trying to keep things semi-formal in meetings (I take notes and facilitate casually), but had received some feedback from one of my team members that this all 'seemed too much like a job', which I interpreted as I am asking for too much from them or being too formal (as if it was a job)
      I want to keep some form of organization for consistency's sake (such as a semi-regular discussion) so everyone is on the same page, and is aware of the way the story is evolving (I have provided a framework people are comfortable with, and am very open to new ideas - being very transparent and forward about this).
      Does anyone have ideas on how to keep people engaged and interested in the project, enough so to meet virtually every 2-3 weeks, with limited resources?
      Here are some things I have been trying so far, with little success:
      Adding content regularly, providing updates on our facebook/discord channels monthly (mixed results, fairly low view count) Following up with a group chat every 2 weeks to make sure everyone is still available for that day (mixed results, some members do not respond/open the chat) Continuing to add content on the wiki regularly (nobody logs in to see the new content) Physically meeting whenever possible (hard to get more than 1 person together, they usually only want to hang out - don't want to talk about new ideas) Pruned members who had no contributions and have not even been in contact for over a month Refrain from calling the meetings meetings (I prefer 'calibrations', as I am mostly talking about new/updated content and talking about it with people) I believe I do not have an issue with general interest in the project - some of the members had a lot to contribute and seemed legitimately interested in the first meeting - and everyone has expressed they are interested in contributing to the story
  • Popular Now