Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Edgarlerouge

Here is my work, how does it sounds to you ?

12 posts in this topic

Let's Fight sounds very appropriate for a retro-style game. Lots of energy and exchange of ideas between sections. Could work really well for a RPG. I felt the mix overall, was a bit top heavy. Strings got too loud in the stabs at 1:17. And you have some distortion. So some production is still needed but the composition is there!  

Thank's a lot ! i agree with you for the heaviness at 1:17. It is not the first time people say that i need some "prodution", but what does exactly mean, i guess i need to learn technical stuff.

Thank's anyway!

Production means how you're setting all of your levels for each channel (or part) in your piece as well as what kinds of (and how much) effects you're applying. It can also mean how you're setting automation and panning, etc. It's a pretty big topic and can take a long time to master all of it! But basically you're making your piece sound the best it possibly can so it shines through! 

Hey,

I can definitely hear the FF in Let`s fight. I would be very interesting to hear a chiptune version this piece. One thing I would change is the bass sound. I find it too funky. Not the notes, but the timbre. 

BTW, Im also from Montreal. I just joined. I posted a thread with one of my pieces. Maybe you could have a listen and let me know what you think. 

Take care! 

thank's for listening my tune ! Of course the chiptune would be good ! i understand your opinion about the funky bass, it would change the mood of a FF fight i agree, but i wanted to keep that mood for now just for fun and tne energy it brings!

Posted (edited)

Here is a new one that i wrote, i changed the music in the menu of "The last of us" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0_XXaKRhs

Edited by Edgarlerouge

Hey, 

Your loops sound pretty good! Some cute ideas that seem to work well for a casual, fun game. A few quick thoughts: 

- can you make your loops longer? Even the best music in the world would get old after too many listens. Is there a file size constraint or a budgetary limitation causing you to write such short loops? 

- check your balances. Especially in the zen loop. Your melody instrument is quite a bit louder than everything else. With some of the higher frequencies in that patch, it can get a bit ear piercing.  

- overall your drum elements are extremely soft. I get you're scoring a puzzle game and that you want to probably keep a vibe while allowing the music to wash over the player. But I think the drums could be a bit louder still. 

I think your main loop was my favorite while the timed loop felt the least cohesive with the rest of the set, honestly. It stuck out as the most different in regards to instrumentation and production. I did like the chromatic movement of it!