Sign in to follow this  
RidiculousName

Best Game Resolution?

The Steam Hardware survey shows 1920x1080 being used by ~45% of users that participated in the survey.  That's a 16:9 aspect ratio.  The second most popular resolution, used by ~23% of survey participants, is 1366x768 which is about a 16:9 aspect ratio (more info on that resolution here).  The third most popular aspect ratio is 1600x900, which is used by ~6%, is 16:9.

16:9 is a pretty safe default. It gets you standard TVs (720p, 1080p and 4k), recent iPhones, and most budget computer monitors.

Ideally you also set your game up to automatically preserve that aspect ratio and provide black bars at top and bottom on 4:3 devices (iPad, quite a few 'pro' computer monitors), and 16:10 devices (Mac laptops).

Also look in the future, they maybe change with 4K or 8K, still will be close hopefully.

I make 4:3 oldschool aspect also possible, with black rectangles up and down of the screen, i dont know if i wanto support it in my new to make engine, since "gamers" use 16:9.

With 4:3 ratio with black beams gives space to place health bar, score & item inventory, to keep the game part clean,

problem is you have to program more, and get slower fps.