Help with creating the UI needed

Started by
9 comments, last by Net_ 6 years, 11 months ago
These are some screenshots from a game we're working on (Ash of Gods - a tactical RPG with card game elements).
Pvh9rYr.png
R861rr0.png
pUGAaAh.png
rOUs87r.png
Could you please comment on the interface and offer some feedback? Is there something to change/imrpove in the UI's elements:
- shapes;
- positions;
- colors.
Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread
Advertisement

- shapes;
- positions;
- colors.

Moving to Visual Arts.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't have much to comment, I like the overall.

The only thing that I think it would be better is using some sort of symbol to represent the teams, instead of just the color of the tile. It would help colorblind people.

I'm with felip, I like most of the UI here. Doesn't clash with your backgrounds and each element seems to serve a clear purpose. Only thing I find problematic is the UI boxes right above each character's head. It looks like it shows health, level, and MP (?). That's fine but the UI at the top left/top right seems to be displaying the exact same elements (only as a bar instead of a value) with the exception of the characters' levels. I'm not sure if there's a reason for that but it seems slightly redundant to have both.

In addition to that, the boxes above their heads seem quite small...making them bigger (if they are necessary) or letting the player zoom would definitely help. Otherwise, this all looks pretty nice.

thebannersaga_04.jpg

This is my favorite image from your game. :wink:

You are now in look alike territory, your game looks so much like Banner saga that people could mistake your game as a sequel.

Grid sizes, circle icons, your hp bar looks like a 90 degree one of Banner saga, you even have the same type of indicators when the player moves.

My advice is this, use your gui to separate yourself from Banner saga or you will force them to take legal action, your game can now directly impact Banner saga. People already have a reddit post about it https://www.reddit.com/r/bannersaga/comments/5d0m3z/ash_of_gods/ ." Ash of gods banner saga" is also now a popular search result as people compare the games; that's amazing this early in development :).

I have been following this game and want to see it released, so don't get yourself into a legal battle like this.

thebannersaga_04.jpg

This is my favorite image from your game. :wink:

You are now in look alike territory, your game looks so much like Banner saga that people could mistake your game as a sequel.

Grid sizes, circle icons, your hp bar looks like a 90 degree one of Banner saga, you even have the same type of indicators when the player moves.

My advice is this, use your gui to separate yourself from Banner saga or you will force them to take legal action, your game can now directly impact Banner saga. People already have a reddit post about it https://www.reddit.com/r/bannersaga/comments/5d0m3z/ash_of_gods/ ." Ash of gods banner saga" is also now a popular search result as people compare the games; that's amazing this early in development :).

I have been following this game and want to see it released, so don't get yourself into a legal battle like this.

You are absolutely right, this is too much like The Banner Saga. It does not seem like a reference, it just seems that you are trying to create an exact copy so people mistakes it with the original. You should dramatically change your UI (and maybe even the artistic style a bit) or you will be in big trouble with Stoic.

Even tho, the game looks pretty solid and it seems like you have a great team behind, so I really want to see what comes from this project!

The only thing that I think it would be better is using some sort of symbol to represent the teams, instead of just the color of the tile. It would help colorblind people.

Thank you, we will think of the colorblind options as well. I think there are some special colour schemes that might be used rather than adding shapes.

I'm with felip, I like most of the UI here. Doesn't clash with your backgrounds and each element seems to serve a clear purpose. Only thing I find problematic is the UI boxes right above each character's head. It looks like it shows health, level, and MP (?). That's fine but the UI at the top left/top right seems to be displaying the exact same elements (only as a bar instead of a value) with the exception of the characters' levels. I'm not sure if there's a reason for that but it seems slightly redundant to have both.

In addition to that, the boxes above their heads seem quite small...making them bigger (if they are necessary) or letting the player zoom would definitely help. Otherwise, this all looks pretty nice.

Yes, it does show the same thing in 2 places (HP, MP, and AT), but we wanted it so to be clear for the player (so he can have an overview on the left and the specific numbers on the field). But you might be right we will give it some thought.

Yes, those are static and will increase when zoomed in, but we will check it out in the actual alpha, thank you.

his is my favorite image from your game. :wink:

You are absolutely right, this is too much like The Banner Saga. It does not seem like a reference, it just seems that you are trying to create an exact copy so people mistakes it with the original. You should dramatically change your UI (and maybe even the artistic style a bit) or you will be in big trouble with Stoic.

Even tho, the game looks pretty solid and it seems like you have a great team behind, so I really want to see what comes from this project!

Well, first of all - we did reach out to Stoic and they are cool with whatever we're doing. We even got some praise on the art :)

We also don't want to try to do things in a suboptimal way just do be different. Square grid, HP and MP bars - these are all pretty standard, they were used in jRPGs since the 1990's, just less so on PC in the latest years. Basically, we do not want to reinvent the bycicle, and if certain things in UI work - we do not want to drop them just to avoid the cimilarity :)

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

Thank you, we will think of the colorblind options as well. I think there are some special colour schemes that might be used rather than adding shapes.

Yes, it does show the same thing in 2 places (HP, MP, and AT), but we wanted it so to be clear for the player (so he can have an overview on the left and the specific numbers on the field). But you might be right we will give it some thought.

Yes, those are static and will increase when zoomed in, but we will check it out in the actual alpha, thank you.

his is my favorite image from your game. :wink:

Well, first of all - we did reach out to Stoic and they are cool with whatever we're doing. We even got some praise on the art :)

We also don't want to try to do things in a suboptimal way just do be different. Square grid, HP and MP bars - these are all pretty standard, they were used in jRPGs since the 1990's, just less so on PC in the latest years. Basically, we do not want to reinvent the bycicle, and if certain things in UI work - we do not want to drop them just to avoid the cimilarity :)

Well, if you have Stoic blessings you should keep your artistic vision on the game just as it is :D. Anyway, it would be pretty useful to do something to differentiate yourself a bit more from The Banner Saga, or marketing may become a little troubling.

Well, first of all - we did reach out to Stoic and they are cool with whatever we're doing. We even got some praise on the art We also don't want to try to do things in a suboptimal way just do be different. Square grid, HP and MP bars - these are all pretty standard, they were used in jRPGs since the 1990's, just less so on PC in the latest years.

I am not warning you against using the style, only because you can get sued. You still can, a developer commenting on how nice your art is doesn't impress a judge. If your game damages Banner saga's reputation they will take legal action, anyone will protect what they made.

Also it could happen that you force Versus Evil to take legal action, marketing and distribution is what they do. If it looks to them like you are attempting a free ride on there success, they will have to take action; or they will end up looking incompetent as publishers.

I am also pointing out to you that the games look so similar, that most people search for Ash of gods, thinking it's a Banner saga game.

This either results in players who are happy that there is a game like Banner saga, although different, or players mad that you are cloning Banner saga. What it means is that your game is standing in the shadows of a other game.

There is a large part of your target audience that simply won't play your game, because it looks like you are making a rip-off from a game they like. None of them is ever going to buy the game, to see it's own worth.

Basically, we do not want to reinvent the bycicle, and if certain things in UI work - we do not want to drop them just to avoid the cimilarity

Then consider dropping them because it doesn't show what you game is. Looking at you screens I can tell your game is a RPG however nothing in it except for the cards in the corner indicates that it has any card play elements.

I dont have much to add other than I like how they have health bars over their head. the battle scene is in the center of the screen and the life bars there are all in my center of view. I dont have to move my gaze around just to see health and it feels more comfortable that way with everything in my view. Looking up left and up right constantly to see health is annoying.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement