Codroids: An emphatically non-complex puzzle game

Started by
1 comment, last by Bearded Whale 7 years ago
codroids_400_80.png
I have just released a single-player puzzle game called Codroids. It takes a simple game mechanic and explores its consequences through 72 carefully handcrafted puzzles.
In Codroids, you take on the role of a factory manager with a simple job: guiding brightly colored worker-droids to matching spots on the factory floor. A straightforward task, until some bad wiring connected the movement controls of the droids and made them move as one! Pressing "left" in Codroids makes every droid attempt to move left.
codroids_h9_small.gif
The game was designed partly as a testimony to my conviction that a puzzle game does not have to grow all complex and convoluted to provide a real challenge. You can read a short manifesto about how Codroids emphatically avoids complexity here:
In short, I have done everything humanly possible to keep the complexity of Codroids at a bare minimum. The puzzles stay small and simple from beginning to end, despite growing remarkably difficult. Even the very hardest puzzles look easy at first glance, and the solution seems within reach.
---
Platform: Windows/Mac/Linux and Android
A trailer:
You can try a demo version of Codroids directly in your browser:
Or, if you are curious just how hard the puzzles get, you could try this special challenge:
Advertisement

Looks cool and fun, reminds me a bit on game "2048" with that movement. How hard it was to make this "play directly in browser" thing? You had to port it all on Flash?

Thanks!
It was quite easy to port. Codroids is made using LibGDX, which does it more or less automatically. I had to make some minor adjustments, because of the limitations of javascript, but it was very little work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement