What do you listen to while indie devving?

Started by
27 comments, last by alnite 6 years, 12 months ago

Just a quick question I had in my head as to what music the general population of Indie developers listen to. I, myself, listen to mostly chillstep, dubstep, and punk(on the more metalish side(Falling In Reverse mostly)).

So, what do you guys normally listen to while grinding out some major code or drawing out new designs?

~Tryck~

Advertisement

Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant & Karl Pilkington- Podcasts and XFM Radio show archives

I would have the games music play in the background, or choose some score that leaned toward the game concept while coding gameplay. Anything else would be a distraction. Low level engine coding is dealers choice based on your individuality but preferably something without a vocal track.

I would have the games music play in the background, or choose some score that leaned toward the game concept while coding gameplay. Anything else would be a distraction. Low level engine coding is dealers choice based on your individuality but preferably something without a vocal track.

This makes sense, but as a mostly solo dev my music making skills aren't very high. When I'm coding, it's usually no vocals just music, however, I jam out to vocals while designing characters or artwork. Personal preference, I guess.

ASOT, ABGT && FSOE. Weekly 'radio' shows.
Or for people that aren't familiar with those shows - Trance.

I'm all over the place myself. I prefer non-vocal as I have issues being easily distracted by talking but yet still retaining very little of it :) I learn by reading and doing. So typically some youtube video with 2-3 hours of whatever I'm feeling at the time. Or classical if I'm reading.

Right now my playlist just flipped over to:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

ASOT, game scores, movie music (i.e. Hans Zimmer)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Not an indie dev by any stretch, but I listen to a lot of Digitally Imported.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Usually nothing, when I'm doing less demanding things or I want to chill my mind a bit i listen to trance, chillout, death metal or TV.

​But usually no music is preffered.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement