What do you listen to while indie devving?

Started by
27 comments, last by alnite 7 years ago
I listen to a variety of music. Usually it's a mix of game music, Bollywood/Hindi/Punjabi music, and German rap. It really depends on what I'm working on. If it's something like modeling, I prefer game music. For coding and design/storyboard, I prefer a mix.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

For concentration-intensive coding/design tasks I don't listen to anything since music tends to distract me a bit. For mind-numbing stuff (like 90% of the work-related stuff I've done over my career) I just pick a band I feel like listening to and generate a station on Pandora. Usually that gravitates towards 70s/80s rock, with the occasional 90s band. My recent stations list stuff like Triumph, The Who, Blackfoot, Wolfmother, and Hootie and the Blowfish.

I've been all over the discography of this guy recently: https://jairamji.bandcamp.com/album/elephant-song

I also keep returning to Solar Fields. He's the guy who composed music for both Mirror's Edge games.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
https://focusmusic.fm/ is my choice at the moment. I usually swap between this and https://coffitivity.com/ depending on what I'm working on at the time.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Usually a random station on Pandora or a Game OST in style of what I am developing. On occasion I listen to royalty-free music libraries as a means to also research good tracks for the game I'm working on.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

Just depends entirely what I feel like listening to. In Amazon Music I have soundtracks, albums and songs I play. One time I might listen to Ray Stevens, the next maybe chiptunes on youtube, the next maybe the original Ghostbusters 1& 2 soundtracks or Britney Spears, Metallica, Queen, Cash, Rogers, AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc.

If I'm working on something that needs a lot of focus, I'll go with Brian Eno or something else ambient. If not, jazz and rap.

I don’t know why we have to be indie to reply, but I am used to people coming to my desk, hearing what is playing in my headphones when I take them off, and being asked, “Is that ‘I Just Can’t Wait to be King’ from The Lion King?”, or, “Is that Super Mario Bros. 3?”
Why yes, yes it is.

You might also hear The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny (Lemon Demon), Death Valley (Cel Damage OST), 99 Red Balloons (Nena), or Werewolves of London (Zevon).

I am often playing songs from Cowboy Bebop, such as Blue, Call Me Call Me, and Space Lion.

Sometimes I like to go back in time and play Crazy on You (Heart), Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac), Runnin’ on Empty (Jackson Browne), Mary Jane’s Last Dance (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), Jack & Diane (John Mellencamp), or Hollywood Nights (Bob Seger).

I did a motion-capture for Final Fantasy XV in which I strummed a guitar to Island in the Sun (Weezer).

I often like to listen to Save Yourself (Stabbing Westward), In the End (Lincoln Park), Oops!...I Did It Again (Britney Spears), Larger than Life (Backstreet Boys), Californication (Red Hot Chili Peppers), or Basket Case (Green Day).

And I am not afraid to throw in some country (The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks), rap (Stan by Eminem), metal (Shoots and Ladders by KoЯn), or whatever-the-hell Da Da Da by Trio is.

My favorite band is They Might Be Giants, and my theme song is Smile Song.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Totally nothing. I can't focus if there's any noise and I count music as one. Usually, I wear earphones/headphones to cancel the outside noise, not to generate new one :)

Well, music wise I tend to have to have something on or I just get distracted by all the other noises around. Generally it changes a lot as to what I listen to, fair amount of nightcore stuff, though do put on like some country, christian rock an that depending on the day / my mood.

I also just spent a few mins to listen to the song in the video that L.Spyro linked in and that has gotta be tune of the week clearly ;p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement