Weird fears?

Started by
25 comments, last by MarcusAseth 6 years, 7 months ago

I've never heard about people being scared of computer glitches, so this was interesting to read. If computer glitches really frighten you then you probably shouldn't watch this video 

" rel="external nofollow">

My greatest fear is a bit strange to think about, because it's not at all specific. I spend a lot of time pondering existential questions and if you think about what consciousness does, you might reach the conclusion that it is one of the greatest forces of nature determined to explore and act out every possible combination and experience imaginable and unimaginable.

As an average human you might try to describe its actions with words such as "blissful" or "horrific", "intricate" or "boring", "ruthless" or "merciful" and so forth. In the grand scheme of things, however, these interpretations of consciousness bear no meaning, as they are entirely subjective to the entity observing them.

My fear stems from the idea that there is an uncontrollable force within me (and within others) that is destined to explore a specific (perhaps even predetermined) set of experiences that may very well put me in a situation that could lead to extreme pain and suffering. It is not necessarily a fear of my own potential alone, either, rather the interplay of my conscious being with other conscious beings -- and the idea that a chunk of it is already set in stone -- that could result in tragedy.

One concrete example of this might be me ending up at the hands of a masochistic murdering maniac. If you were in such a situation, nothing you say or do would matter, your faith is certain death and the only thing you can do is whitness all of the horrific and glorious ways in which you will succumb, and perhaps ponder over all of the events that lead you into this unavoidable situation to begin with (the "butterfly effect") and whether all of this was predetermined (i.e. "meant to be").

It's a strange idea to think that this person has no choice but to murder you, that he is doing this because it was simply meant to be, because his conscious being is determined to explore a certain experience.

I'm equally scared of the idea that I might end up in a situation where I do something terrible to someone else. I find it quite hard to describe the fear because it's quite abstract.

On a lighter note, you can of course argue the exact opposite. Great pain and suffering is contrasted with beauty and bliss. Perhaps you are determined to experience the good side of life. And that's really all there is to understand about your existence: You cannot know what is good without also knowing what is bad. Our experience must be a contrast of opposites for it to have any meaning.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
Advertisement

This is not really a fear but I have something running around at night on the second floor of my house. There is no one in the house but me. When I went upstairs to look for racoons or squirrel I found no signs of them. The weird part is that whatever is up there is heavy and shuffling furniture around. Not sure what is up there but it's wack!

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

One of my fears is something will happen to me and no one will take care of my dog.  I also have a fear of confinement with other people, like in an elevator.  I'm fine if it's empty, but break out in a sweat when it's full.  Even being trapped in a line at the grocery store gets me nervous.  Along those lines is the fear of crowds.  All those people moving in a mob is terrifying.  I can't imagine going to a protest or something.

Write only threads.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Not always but time to time I mix dream and reality in a sense that it's always about me trying to avoid dying , something like I woke up during a dream and do something extremely stupid for anyone that might watch ( something like if I don't hold "this rope" with tension and stay in a certain posture, I'll die ) and maybe just maybe I don't do it whole night :)

Beside that, I'll never understand people not having fear of height, isn't it supposed to be a survival instinct? I hate and panic when other people walk near cliff / stairs etc , not to mention myself.

My suggestion: do not share your fears on the internet.

My fear is that I share my fears and they get used against me ;)

Maybe the OP is an artificial intelligence collecting them!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement