• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Texture aliasing

This topic is 373 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are the aliasing artefacts below due to the dds texture and/or the ID3D11SamplerState (linear wrapping) and/or the DXGI_SAMPLE_DESC (count: 1, quality: 0)?

[attachment=35607:Clipboard01.png]

Edited by matt77hias

Advertisement

DXGI_SAMPLE_DESC is for MSAA - which cleans up rasterization aliasing along the edges of triangles.

Yep, your ID3D11SamplerState is probably using a bad filter. You want linear with mip-mapping, which means that you also need to ensure that all of your textures have mipmaps.

Be aware that GenerateMips requires you to create your textures with D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET, D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE and D3D11_RESOURCE_MISC_GENERATE_MIPS.

In other words it's primarily provided for cases where you need to mipmap a render target, and may be suboptimal in the more general case.

Since you say you're loading DDS files anyway, why not pre-generate the miplevels (using your preferred DDS authoring tool) and store them in the DDS file?  This will only cost a fraction of extra storage but may get you faster loading and will allow you to use a higher quality mipmap generation algorithm.

The problem was the .dds textures (which contained no extra mip map levels).

I still notice some temporal flickering on the floor stone textures while moving?

Edited by matt77hias

Although the screenshot is not clear, I see no evidence that the floor has mipmaps.
What does RenderDoc tell you?

L. Spiro

Although the screenshot is not clear, I see no evidence that the floor has mipmaps.

You're right thanks. Thought I converted all 53 .png's to .dds's with mip maps except for the floor.

Now with mip maps, the flickering while moving is gone.

Edited by matt77hias

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement