Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NielsBross

Build issues with CL and GLFW

This topic is 523 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone.

I've recently tried to move from compiling my engine with g++ to cl (Microsoft's compiler) from Visual Studio 2015, but I've run into some issues.

So basically, we want to compile for 64bit thus initializing CL with

vcvarsall.bat x64

This means we want 64 bit version of every library we are using. We are using OpenGL with GLFW3 and GLAD for loading. Beyond that we are using OpenAL and FreeType 2.7.

Before I get into any more detail I wanted to know if anyone had experience with CL using those two libraries, and maybe could share what they did to make it link without errors.

We are basically having issues with the linking to the correct libraries.

So the question is really, if you have any experience with CL and at least some of those libraries while compiling for 64bit from the command line, do you have any experiences (both good and bad) that could help, and more specifically, which versions and links you used for the libraries or which you built yourself and so on.

Hope someone can help :)

I can clear things up about the specific build file if anyone wants, but for now I'll just leave it as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

Is there something that doesn't allow you to build your project using visual studio's projects/solution files? It just might be faster to create a solution with projects for all the libs you want linked statically. You will have those libs automatically rebuilt in whatever settings your main project require. It worked for me, including freetype and other opensource libs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, we considered that, but I think we just didn't really need to use Visual Studio and felt it was enough to use the compiler (and seemingly faster).

We did fix the issue in the end though and found out it was mostly a chicken and egg thing with how we compiled some dll's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!