Adventures in Texting - Sign up thread

Started by
11 comments, last by khawk 6 years, 12 months ago

It is time for fun.

We will embark on an adventure together, where we all collaboratively work on a text adventure game. The setup is simple: We begin with a minimal "framework" written in the C++ language. Code is then added incrementally according to the following rules.

The Schedule

Access to the repository is opened on Friday, 17-04-21 14:00 UTC.
Access to the repository is closed on Sunday, 17-04-23 14:00 UTC.
You may sign up at any time starting now by posting in this thread or contacting me on Discord. Please give me your github username!

The Rules

• Language constraints
    • The code you submit must be well-defined and compile and run without causing abnormal program termination (such as segfaults, calls to abort() or exit(), etc.)
    • The program must have the ability to terminate normally after a finite amount of time. Inserting infinite loops is not allowed.
    • Your code must comply with the C++11 standard. You may not use compiler specific extensions, platform specific calls (e.g. winAPI or posix calls) or external dependencies (other than the C/C++ standard library).
    • You may not use preprocessor directives, with the exception of rule 5.
    • You may define constants, e.g. #define PLAYER_STATE 5. More complex macros are not allowed (such as macros that accept arguments).
    • You may not use goto.
    • All code must be contained in a single source file. In other words, you may not create additional source or header files.
  • Submitting code
    • You may modify/insert at most 5 lines at a time. Deleting existing lines is forbidden! You can only insert!
    • The maximum line length allowed is 512 characters (excluding the newline).
    • You may only submit code if the previous submitter is not you, or if 30 minutes have past since the last commit.
    • Code containing illegal information or information that would get you banned from GDNet is forbidden.

If you submit code that violates any of these rules, your access will be suspended for 2+ hours.

The Code

We will synchronise our code using github: https://github.com/gamedev-net/AdventuresInTexting

People signed up:

1. TheComet (TheComet93)
  2. iedoc (cloudis31)
  3. Alpheus (canfucius)
  4. Naz (Ruuubb)
  5. IYP (IYP-Programer-Yeah)
  6. CulDeVu (CulDeVu)
  7. Nitewalkr (Nitewa1kr)
  8. Washu (WashuHakubi)
  9. blueshogun96 (blueshogun96)
  10. Alpheus (canfucius)
  11. MarkyPooch (markypooch)
  12. martin (MartinGrant)

The rules aren't yet set in stone, we can discuss and make changes to them until Friday if necessary.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
Advertisement

Count me in

My github username is: cloudis31

I'm in like Flinn.

First line of code:

return 0;

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Naz

I am Khatharr.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I am Groot

I'll join this :)

Technically, wouldn't replacing a line with ";" count as "modifying"? Yeah yeah, spirit vs. the letter and all that.

Anyway, I'm in: SeraphLance

It begins!

Note that one rule has been changed: You are now allowed to modify existing lines as well as insert new lines.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

Over already? This would be more interesting if it was a 3D game. Maybe next time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement