Sound Design/Music Demo - what do you guys think? Critique is welcome.

Started by
2 comments, last by jwaldenmusic 7 years ago

Hey guys, just starting up my new project this month for composition/sound design for video games

Was curious if I could get some feedback on this demo.

Both the soundtrack and sound design was redone with no reference to the source material.

You can also listen to the song on it's own here: https://soundcloud.com/user-253917174/a-world-of-magic

Advertisement

Overall, I liked your demo! There are a few notes I have for you to consider:

- the note bend up sample from your guitar synth is distracting because it's always delivered in the same way. And it happens quite a bit. I realize you're trying to make the guitar patch sound more realistic by using this but it actually detracting instead of enhancing.

- I felt the ceiling/floor being closed up at 1:05 could be much larger. More menacing. At least in my opinion.

- The lightning spell feels too dark. It feels like it lacks power compared to the other spells. I want more high end crackle of the electricity arcing.

- The gore sound at 1:43 blends in too much with the lightning spell sound so it's hard to really hear what's going on there.

- I really like the ice and the dart/projectile sounds! And the fire works well too. So does the wind/push back sound.

- The ice spell at 2:47 needs to be larger and have more impact.

- On the music front, I felt the voice pad(s) started to get too loud in the mix around 1:47. It could be that the music comes up in volume here too. It just felt like it was stepping on the sound design some.

Overall, a really nice job! I've done these kinds of sound replacement videos so I know how much work goes into doing something like this. Thanks so much for sharing!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks Nate! Comments were very helpful :)

Will be sure to pay more attention to those details.

Overall, I liked your demo! There are a few notes I have for you to consider:

- the note bend up sample from your guitar synth is distracting because it's always delivered in the same way. And it happens quite a bit. I realize you're trying to make the guitar patch sound more realistic by using this but it actually detracting instead of enhancing.

- I felt the ceiling/floor being closed up at 1:05 could be much larger. More menacing. At least in my opinion.

- The lightning spell feels too dark. It feels like it lacks power compared to the other spells. I want more high end crackle of the electricity arcing.

- The gore sound at 1:43 blends in too much with the lightning spell sound so it's hard to really hear what's going on there.

- I really like the ice and the dart/projectile sounds! And the fire works well too. So does the wind/push back sound.

- The ice spell at 2:47 needs to be larger and have more impact.

- On the music front, I felt the voice pad(s) started to get too loud in the mix around 1:47. It could be that the music comes up in volume here too. It just felt like it was stepping on the sound design some.

Overall, a really nice job! I've done these kinds of sound replacement videos so I know how much work goes into doing something like this. Thanks so much for sharing!

Nate

I have uploaded a revised version here:

Curious to hear what you think of the changes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement