• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fire67

Texture tiling without deformation

This topic is 513 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there !

I am trying to achieve a special texture stretching effect in my shader. Here is how I define my uv before sampling my texture, nothing really special.

// uv_ST contains the tiling and offset values
uv.xy = uv.xy * uv_ST.xy + uv_ST.zw

This gives the standard tiling/stretching and offset behaviour when you tile/stretche a clamped texture as you can see in the image below. First is normal, second is offset and last is stretching.

Zwj4l.jpg

But I want to avoid the deformation behaviour when stretching, I want to keep margins when stretching my texture or simply cut it in the middle and stretching it. Here is an illustration below.

HdUgs.jpg

How could I do that inside my shader when defining my uvs before sampling the texture ?

Thanks a lot !

Edited by fire67

Advertisement

If you add a few additional vertices around each dashed line, you can scale them up or down individually by scaling UVs around the centroid of their four surrounding vertices.

[attachment=35685:s.png]

Edited by eppo

Thanks for your answer, this is very clever but I can't use a solution that involves geometry as I need to be able to change the texture offset along a ribbon mesh while keeping a good stretching.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!