beginner trying to get into game industry

Started by
2 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 12 months ago

hello all :)

i am a motion designer artist who is trying to get into game design because i am always passionate about games i am not asking which is the best gaming engine i just want an engine that could do landscape designs with good quality mostly focus on 3d stuff and make games like (RPG)

my experience i do modeling and rigging and animation software's i use are cinema 4d aftereffects and photoshop but i dont know any programming

language :(

Advertisement

but i dont know any programming language

Learn one quick, start with Python if you want a easy one. All artist in the gaming industry is expected to understand the principals of programming, so that you can explain to the programmer how to implement your art.

Because making art for a game, is making the art work with the game. It isn't like just making it and it's dropped into the game "working". It's exactly this kind of thinking that makes asset stores a bad idea, lot's of developers think art can just be dragged and dropped into a game.

As a artist in the industry you are expected to be able to implement your work. With Unreal's Blueprint system it's no longer a fact that you need to know a language, however to use the Blueprints you need a basic understanding of programming.

i am not asking which is the best gaming engine i just want an engine that could do landscape designs with good quality mostly focus on 3d stuff and make games like (RPG)

Unreal 4 is the best to start with for you, it or Lumberyard as both are made for fantastic landscapes. Unreal is easier to use.

my experience i do modeling and rigging and animation software's i use are cinema 4d

As a motion designer Cinema 4D will fly, however when you do get employed you will be using other software. Learning 3DS Max is your best chance of getting hired, you can download and use it for free under the student license.

Last pieces of advice: If you don't have a degree it's going to be hard, it's going to be hard even with one. Build a portfolio as soon as you can, you need it more than any thing as a artist.

Remember not to waste time, while job hunting do some freelance work or learn other art related skills, any thing that you can add to your portfolio will make things easier.

but i dont know any programming language

Learn one quick, start with Python if you want a easy one. All artist in the gaming industry is expected to understand the principals of programming, so that you can explain to the programmer how to implement your art.

Because making art for a game, is making the art work with the game. It isn't like just making it and it's dropped into the game "working". It's exactly this kind of thinking that makes asset stores a bad idea, lot's of developers think art can just be dragged and dropped into a game.

As a artist in the industry you are expected to be able to implement your work. With Unreal's Blueprint system it's no longer a fact that you need to know a language, however to use the Blueprints you need a basic understanding of programming.

i am not asking which is the best gaming engine i just want an engine that could do landscape designs with good quality mostly focus on 3d stuff and make games like (RPG)

Unreal 4 is the best to start with for you, it or Lumberyard as both are made for fantastic landscapes. Unreal is easier to use.

my experience i do modeling and rigging and animation software's i use are cinema 4d

As a motion designer Cinema 4D will fly, however when you do get employed you will be using other software. Learning 3DS Max is your best chance of getting hired, you can download and use it for free under the student license.

Last pieces of advice: If you don't have a degree it's going to be hard, it's going to be hard even with one. Build a portfolio as soon as you can, you need it more than any thing as a artist.

Remember not to waste time, while job hunting do some freelance work or learn other art related skills, any thing that you can add to your portfolio will make things easier.

thank you so much for replying in depth guess ill start with unreal engine 4 one last question if you dont mind do you think blue print can make RPG game or at least a small scale RPG game or is it very limited for this kind of task

do you think blue print can make RPG game or at least a small scale RPG game or is it very limited for this kind of task

You can make any game in the world using only the blueprints. I would not have said so when Unreal 4 first launched, now they improved it so much there is almost no downside to using it.

I expect many engines will now start to adopt systems like the Blueprint, visual coding like this has some amazing benefits.

The only real argument against using Blueprints is that some code is hidden, so there is a lot that is overlooked. To see all the code, just hit the "Context Sensitive" button.

The other is that it can get confusing to read, so do leave comments to explain what does what.

You can make full functions and your own classes, have full access to variables and branches. So if there is something the Blueprint can't do, you can use the Blueprint to create a function or macro to do it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement