Need A Turn-Based 3D Multiplayer Game Idea

Started by
4 comments, last by ferrous 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey all,

I have successfully incorporated Steam connectivity in a 3D engine and even made a simple platformer prototype using it (here is me and my friend playing it:

). However, things like prediction and interpolation and the like are above my head. As such, I'm thinking of taking a step back and making a small turn-based game.

The idea is to support a large number of players and to require a small amount of resources. No giant worlds or dozens of characters or animations or anything. I can recolor and edit resources though (so I can have different color teams and whatnot).

My first thought was a simultaneous board game with some interactivity between players. I could also do a game like Town of Salem (but different). Not sure if a multiplayer (3+) card game could be made to work. Or dominoes. Games like Master of Magic/Orion/Civ are both beyond my skills and resources.

What other turn-based multiplayer games are worth considering?

Advertisement

If you wanna look for low resource games, look at board and card games.

Board game designers have to build their games around limitations, because they have to make it as simple as possible for the player to understand and organise. The average consumer doesn't want to calculate damage values on a calculator between rounds, they cant keep track of 15 different statistics represented physically.

If you want to make something really simple, try thinking up a physical game first, then see how you can improve it by translating into digital format with less limitations.

Look into original roguelikes perhaps? There are no real good 3d ones out there that I am aware of. If I would rock at 3D I would go for that immediately.

Turn based blimp battles? Battleblimps!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement