I Have No Idea what I'm Doing

Started by
3 comments, last by Aurelien Folie - Odin 6 years, 11 months ago
Hello, my name is Lennon Knight (Or Payton Knight). I see many indies crawling around with inspiration and dedication, and I imagine, "If there are so many indie devs, it must be easy, right?". Then I went into a downward spiral, having no idea where to start, what to download, and what to learn. The only things I know so far is this:
  • First game should be super easy.
  • You have to learn how to code (I want to learn C# cause im interested in 2d development like Christian Whitehead)
  • I wanna make a Parappa the Rapper fangame as my long term goal.
Sadly, that's it. I hope I get some good advice and I cant wait for a response!

Advertisement

Welcome to the Forums!

I do not recommend it very often but you should start using Unity3D as your main playground until you know how the things work. There are some beginner tutorials using Google even for 2D development that help you getting up your first scene and something happen. It is C# but without all the nasty engine/rendering specific stuff you would neet to do when using something like WPF for first.

I think this is what you currently need because it sounds more like you were demotivated instead of just overwhelemed where to start.

Now I will take your illusions .. ready? .. here we go, beeing an indie developer isnt that easy as it might sound when you do develop for money and as base of your incomme. You need to invest before you could harvest and even then you couldnt be sure that your seeds growed jucy fruits because other indies are also seeind on the same fields as you. You just either need good knowledge of the market or a well working and merchandised idea with a acceptable fan base to get your first hit. This may work but mostly it dosent and you will paddle with your head short above waters edge.

I personally know a few indies that are fighting all day but still fall back again and again to where they were but I also know someone who got a hit.

Maybe someone with greater business experience could answer your questions in this topic because I develop just for my pleasure instead of beeing self indipendent :rolleyes:

Know back to the technical topic; you should just get an easy game running in for example Unity to experience how a game works, what gameplay you have/need and most important to finish it. Most beginners struggle when they do not reach any processing for there eyes so a lack of motivation happens. Take something easy from a genre you like and if you didnt get anything then maybe take a Pong clone. I have made a Pong clone in my studies in less than one semester to work in Java so this is the lowest hanging fruite I could offer to you.

When you get started first anyhing else will appear over time

well right now i dont really want to do this for money. i want to start it as a hobby and if my actual job fails ill use my developer resume to get a job. but thank you for the info! ill fiddle with unity for the meantime.

Game development as a hobby is good. Later on, its would be good for you if you may, to showcase your work on game developer websites such as gamedev. Unless its a remarkable game, don't publish it :lol: on any of the main markets for free as it only increases clutter of games in the markets.

Making a small part of what is required in a game instead of an entire game is a lot more beneficial and rewarding. :)

One of the things that taught me a lot about game design is to do game jams with other people. They are often small, 48h events (on the week-end), where you can find a small team, get a random set of words, and then you have to create a game around that.

Doing game jams is a great way to see what it takes to develop a game, to start working with others, as a team, to develop something, and to learn more about the process of programming, graphic design etc... And the great thing is that you just need to find people that are happy to do it with you, without having to learn the skills to do everything yourself.

Overall, to develop games, I wouldn't recommend doing it on your own, as there are so many different things to consider, and as working as a team can be so much more motivating, and inspiring (when you find the right team).

Maybe you have some friends that would want to work on that with you? Or maybe, some people are looking for additional members for their game jam teams? There are a lot of organised events around the world for game jams, or for networking, where you can find people to team up with!.

Aurelien Folie - Odin - Founder of Asgaard Studio

Creator of unique, bespoke experiences

Gentleman Extraordinaire

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement