Genre name for game that focuses on power-ups

Started by
11 comments, last by Orymus3 6 years, 11 months ago
It's still a racing game, even if the part about actually driving has atrophied to nothing.

I have to disagree with that. I think you might be confusing Genre with Theme. The only difference between the games "Mafia Wars" and "Street Racing" is the text. Its the exact same mechanics for both. I can create a tick tack toe game with tire irons for X's and wheels for O's, but it still won't be a racing game. If the Genre doesn't describe the general mechanics of the game, what's the point of genre's?

Like 'Progress Quest'? I think the closest genre would probably be "idle/incremental games"; this is the genre that "clicker" games fall into, but I think less actual clicking is probably incidental to the core features you're interested in of abstracting the actual theme and progressing by unlocking or increasing stats.

This makes far more sense to me. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

Advertisement

You just said the game play style or 'genre,' my friend. It is a management "sim" game.

I can agree it could fall under a "sim" title, but I think the term "sim" is bloated. Most games "simulate" something else. Battlefield is a sim game, in the sense that it simulates shooting. But the general mechanic is shooting, and so the game is a shooter.

But since the game play mechanics for the title "management sim" could vary so much, it renders the genre title useless in describing its game play.

My general belief, is that if all I read was the Genre, I should know something about how that game is played. I.e. Shooter, Racing, Side Scroller. These all tell me about how the game is played.

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

I think the closest genre would probably be "idle/incremental games"

@jbadams, 'idle/incremental games' seems like it was pulled right out of a list. I've seen a few lists of genre's, do you have a link to where that one was defined. I.e. I'd like to look through the rest of its list.

- Thanks!

You just said the game play style or 'genre,' my friend. It is a management "sim" game.

I can agree it could fall under a "sim" title, but I think the term "sim" is bloated. Most games "simulate" something else. Battlefield is a sim game, in the sense that it simulates shooting. But the general mechanic is shooting, and so the game is a shooter.

But since the game play mechanics for the title "management sim" could vary so much, it renders the genre title useless in describing its game play.

My general belief, is that if all I read was the Genre, I should know something about how that game is played. I.e. Shooter, Racing, Side Scroller. These all tell me about how the game is played.

I agree sim is a bloated term, hence all the quotation marks and clarifications. I totally agree, that if a game simulates combat, or playing an instrument, or any individual's action, it's not considered a "sim" game, and we could go into whether or not action games actually have the intent of simulating combat, when they usually take very large liberties in favor of providing what they are actually known for when more realism/fidelity is possible, but I digress, let's just stick to management, then.

While the theming for management games varies WILDLY, the actual mechanics seem to be pretty consistent. What is the huge difference, mechanically, between, say, Zynga's Street Racing and, I don't know, Sim City? In both cases, you use your resources to purchase assets that vary in terms of theme, cost and adjustments to the simulation, then you let the simulation run and see what resources you've acquired. Then you make more purchases and run the simulation again. Most have an 'events' mechanic, with both positive and negative themed events that occur seemingly at random and/or tied to the storyline. In every case, the mechanics seem to be about not controlling individuals, but systems. Once a game is about controlling and placing individuals, the emphasis on that makes it more of an RTS-style where instead of letting the simulation run, you can 'micro' in order to turn the simulation into something where your 'macro' management isn't the deciding factor in the outcome.

Those are my thoughts, anyway, it's possible that I'm not as aware of the mechanics involved in these games, since I haven't played many since SimAnt, though, now that I think about it... that was definitely an RTS.

@jbadams, 'idle/incremental games' seems like it was pulled right out of a list. I've seen a few lists of genre's, do you have a link to where that one was defined.

I have no idea sorry, I just Googled for a reference to the genre I thought fitted.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Kongregate coined these as 'Upgrades' games. So unless they're idle in nature, I'd stick the Upgrades in the genre title (Racing Upgrades, etc.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement