Sign in to follow this  
vinnyvicious

Reducing amount of animations in game with procedural solutions

I'm currently working on a small third-person shooter along with a friend, who is an artist. Today, i've finished the state machine that controls all the possible states that the player can be in. My friend was going to use that as a reference to start animating the player model. Unfortunately, since we are just two guys, i think the combination of states is going to affect his productivity. I mean:

• Walking_WithRifle
  • Walking_NorthWest_WithRifle
  • Walking_Backwards_WithRifle
  • StrafeLeft_WithRifle
  • Crouched_Walking_WithRifle
  • Crouched_StrafeLeft_WithRifle

We have several other weapon types (Melee, Pistol, RPG, Grenade, Mine, etc.). I'm trying to find a solution for this problem with code, but the engine i am using (Urho) is limited on what i can do. For the different weapon types, since they mostly affect the upper body parts, i was thinking about asking him to animate just an idle pose with each of the weapons, and then i can use that to blend with other states (Walking, Running, Crouched Walking, etc.)

However, for the NW, SW, and other diagonal movements... what can i do? A rotation of the pelvis bone? What do you guys suggest?

Also, for the StrafeLeft/StrafeRight... is that something that i can also do with rotation?

However, for the NW, SW, and other diagonal movements... what can i do? A rotation of the pelvis bone? What do you guys suggest?

For that you can simply have 4 animations : N,S,E,W and then do a blend by direction.

Also, for the StrafeLeft/StrafeRight... is that something that i can also do with rotation?

For that you can do mirror of animation, but it's a tricky thing to have it working and you also need to do a mirror bone setup to set each mirror bone.

since they mostly affect the upper body parts, i was thinking about asking him to animate just an idle pose with each of the weapons, and then i can use that to blend with other states

You can do a masked blend to animate the bottom part and animate the upper part, simply combine the pose.

Edited by Alundra

If i blend Left and Forward, for example, how can i associate the blending amount from A to B based on the direction vector?

As for mirroring, why would i need mirror bones? Maybe just invert the values?

You can compute the angle using atan2 or dot product which will gives you an angle in [-PI, +PI].
Using this angle you can select the 2 animations and then compute the blend factor of the two.
Mirroring is a tricky thing, you have to set the mirror bone + set the mirror axis, mirror the quaternion using that.

Edited by Alundra