Doing "simple" 3d-Art and appling textures and lighting do it.

Started by
2 comments, last by BBeck 6 years, 11 months ago

For my game (hobby project) i would like to create what i believe to be rather basic 3D art. Basicly some icons that represent future weapons of sorts, like laser and plasma turrets.

This is what i want to create of sorts.

http://prntscr.com/euvddf

I do have some mediocre 3ds experience. I can model "alright", in context to what i want, however, im unable to come up with the polish required, so be exact: I cant recreate the lightning and shader effects at all. The best i could do was this:

http://prntscr.com/euvc6p

Basicly, can some explain to me how i would give me model a similar hull texture and metallic lightning effect as was supplied to to the models from the first link ?

Also, is there any kind of estimate on what i would have to pay to somehow to create images like in the first picture, like in that very size, detail and quality ?

- thanks

Advertisement

Basicly, can some explain to me how i would give me model a similar hull texture and metallic lightning effect as was supplied to to the models from the first link ?

Load your model into blender, boost you specular to excessive levels and you will have the same kind of material. Blender is free.

Yours actually looks better than the first link, I don't know why you would even want to mimic it.

You can look into the old specular workflow for texturing or you could use PBR and get much better results faster.

Also, is there any kind of estimate on what i would have to pay to somehow to create images like in the first picture, like in that very size, detail and quality ?

More than it's worth. You have to pay artist for there time, even if it could be done fast they will still charge you the same price as a well designed icon. More or less $10-25 for each so if you wanted 10 Icons you would pay $100-250

For that price you could just pay for Substance painter and use it yourself to get more realistic results.

You are basically looking at the game engine doing a lot of the work for you. I use Blender, and then a whole lot of the coloring, lighting, reflection work is just working with Unity. Personally, I still have a difficult time with it. Knowing your engine, it turns out, is an art in and of itself. Creating simple models like those in Blender and utilizing Unity shouldn't be too hard, and both are free for non-commercial use.

Lighting effects are programmatic. If you have really good lighting in Blender, when you export and import it a game engine like Unreal or Unity (unless you're using Blender as your engine), you'll end up having to then mess around with lighting in those engines.

The first pictures are really too small for me to see. But I can tell they have heavy specular lighting applied. That's a Blinn-Phong shader.

If that's what you are wanting, it is relatively easy. But the question remains how to get it that way in your game engine. The answer is entirely dependent on what game engine you are using. I mean, I can give you the math, but the math may do you no good in Unity, for example, unless you are writing your own Unity shaders. And it may just be a matter of telling your engine "apply 30% specular" instead of anything you really have to do.

If you really want your models to "shine" though, you should probably be using PBR like Substance. That's a "whole 'nother level". Maybe all you need is specular. If you want to know about the math, I have a whole video series on HLSL that covers the math fairly in depth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement