Looking for Books, Documentation and/or Games to study and elaborate on the subject of Weapon Durability, any recommendations?

Started by
3 comments, last by Ordnas 6 years, 11 months ago

As the title says, i want to get some more knowledge regarding weapon durability, how to implement it, when was done right and wrong, etc

Thanks for any info!

Cheers!

Advertisement

I wouldn't think there's any great mystery here - it's a depletable resource like any other (e.g. gold, health) and therefore plays a part in your game economy. Typically it is there to form a money sink, i.e. your weapons become less effective and you have to spend money to restore the effectiveness. Or they may break entirely and you pay to replace them. Obviously the change in effectiveness has to be sufficient to be noticeable and the cost can't be too high (or it's annoying, or even punitive) or too low (or it's just a chore that performs little in-game role).

Many online games implement breakage to control money, or as Kylotan worded it, to form a money sink.

Here are two videos from Extra Credits that I think explain it well:

How To Manage Inflation

Hyperinflation, Reserve Currencies & You!

There are more in the series that you should watch, but those directly address the question.

Erm, are you only asking for information regarding weapon durability in games or in general?

My favorite old game, Megaman X, had a system where the main character X, (yes, that's his name) had special modes where his ammunition for that mode would deplete as he used it and potentially run-out before the end of the level. He didn't "break" per se, but it kept the player from over-using a particular type of attack. Having a weapon break in the middle of the level would have the same effect.

Weapon durability might be used to limit the kind of attacks that can be used with the weapon. While realistically speaking, you usually don't need a lot of strength in a fight involving weapons, If a "powerful" attack reduced durability more than a "standard" attack the player would be limited in how many "powerful" attacks they could perform.

It may be fun to have a system where weapons that have been properly cared for may unlock benefits over time. Maybe with the weapon itself, or with the player-character's skill with that weapon.

Mostly I don't like weapon durability in games because:

1. Even many improvised weapons don't break as easily as is commonly depicted in games, and that breaks the 4th wall for me.

2. It's annoying to constantly fix your weapons or find new ones.

Dark Souls series is the only game I can think of, where you need to plan carefuly before confronting against a series of enemies or adventure in a new dungeon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement