• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KieranOk

Best way to make games for a beginner?

This topic is 435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! My name’s Kieran, and I’m making a game with a free games engine. It’s my goal to start my own game studio, and I’m well on my way. But before I can start a game studio, I’d better learn how to make games first!

Game programming and game scripting are a little bit out of my reach at the moment, but even I can create a game. Because I've realised that game making doesn’t just belong to the big companies, now more-so than ever. I've always told myself ‘I want to make a game’, but I've only recently realised I CAN make games!

I tried a few free games engines; there’s lots that say they’re free and turn out not to be, so be careful.  I’m using the Polygon Engine.  It’s 2D and easy to use, particularly as I have no coding experience, it’s just right.

If, like me, you want to start a game making company some day, we have to start somewhere. As first steps go, making a game is a good start!
I feel like a lot of people are in our situation. So if you want to learn to make games, create your own game, and even start a studio of your own, but don’t know where to start – I’ve found the Polygon Engine fantastic.  Can’t recommend it highly enough for the complete beginner.

Advertisement

Realistically yes, you can use a free 2D game engine to make basic games, the alternative (and far better in my opinion) would be to actually learn to program if you want to program games.

With properly focused study and work you can get to a point of building 2D games fairly effectively within like a year of coding. Obviously as the game complexity increases so does the time to learn the skills, though especially if you want to open a game studio, even if you do work mostly with an engine having a good programming knowledge really helps.

And yes, a year of study and failing, to get to the same point as just working with a basic engine may seem like a lot, but realistically, its barely any time at all when you look at the overall "how long do I want to do this for as a job" scale of things

Also, your post kinda reads like an advert for the engine lol :o

Edited by GibbonThatCodes

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!