Taking a crack at making a Japanese fps game

Started by
11 comments, last by L. Spiro 6 years, 11 months ago
I would love to see more Japanese based games like genji, onimusha etc. but I highly doubt a single person can make a full AAA game - especially when there is no coding wanted....

But you can try and write down your ideas so that others will understand them. Maybe you can put together a team, but I highly doubt it....
Advertisement

If you don't want to get your hands too far into actual development, you could use a template project from the Unity asset store?

(for example: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2943)

You'll still need to learn how to actually use Unity and implement 3rd party assets though. Finding someone to do it for you might be harder than you think. Especially for free.

'Art help' sounds like it could be fairly compelling though, assuming that you mean you'd provide some art work for their own project(s).

And to beat a dead horse: it won't be anywhere near AAA quality.

Lecturer and semi-domesticated Code-Panda for Polygon College

I know exactly to the smallest detail how my game will be. So, what kind of engine can I squeeze my game into without coding at all, and still have near AAA title quality? I will get someone else to write my code, for free advertising or art help. I just don't want to program the thing.

I spotted a breaking point for your whole plan, which is only as strong as its weakest link.

Getting people to write your game when they can write their own instead is nearly impossible, especially when you know even the smallest detail (which just sounds like, “No creative input from others allowed; just make it how I say.”)
Imagine the programmer’s response to your proposal, and I mean realistically.
“Advertising? If you mean exposure, I can make my own simple projects and not only will I have more fun making them (because I get to choose what I do), I will have more smaller samples to put on my own website/portfolio rather than a single game that sounds as though it will take forever to finish, plus I have to rely on your ability to recruit musicians and other factors that are out of my control before I could show anything.
Free art in the future might be interesting, but only if it is what I want at the quality I want it, when I need it, and with timely deliveries—I have no guarantees of any of those things, and if this project fails you may just bail on your promises.
I need to pay bills, and money during development would be tons more useful than a promise of art at an undisclosed date in the future with no guarantees that you will do the styles I want and that you will deliver in a timely manner.”

Unless you are a college student with other college students who have to make a game together to get a grade, you need to consider spending money if you want others to do your project.
I was originally a game designer, for whatever that label is worth when applied to an 11-year-old, and I knew that no one was going to make all the games I was drawing up for me. If I have my games I want to make, it stands to reason they have theirs they want to make.
So I learned programming.
If you want it done, do it yourself.

And the way you throw around “AAA” willy-nilly can only mean 2 things:
Anyone with enough experience will take it as a sign that you have too little experience for them to have faith in the project being finished ever, let alone on-time.
Anyone without enough experience to realize that just results in a blind-leading-the-blind situation and decreases your chances of any success.

At the end of the day you don’t stand out from the trillions of others who also want to make their own games.
If you are to have any success even remotely you will need to approach people with a documented and thought-out plan, schedule, design document, fully fleshed-out samples of your own artistic skills, etc., and communicate professionally during the approach. And even then you have very little chance at getting someone.
If you are lucky enough to get someone, you need to know how to manage people. Part of that means knowing when and how to stand by your own ideas and when to flex to make them happy.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement