• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cebugdev

how to implement tentacle monster

This topic is 493 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

(i have not placed any tags or topic prefix coz i am asking in a general game dev point of view and not platform specific),

we are planning to have monsters with tentacles or roots that will strike the current location/position of the player,

my question is, how to handle such attack? does the strike animation will be exported together with the model and then just rotate the tentacle in the engine pointing to the position of the character and just play the animation?

or does the actual attack animation is done in the engine itself?

what ideas you guys have for this?

the game is in 3D.

Advertisement

Never done anything like that, but both seem good solutions at first sight, I think the next step would to try it.

You may want to start with the simplest one, and check how it looks. If it's fine, move on to the next problem. Otherwise, try the 2nd option to check if that improves it.

To strike any place, you need inverse kinematics.

For designated target zones you can use normal animations. You could also target the animation by moving the body.

Last you could use the same type of animation as is used for tails, make one Swing_Left, Swing_Right, Swing_Down, Swing_Up. Then use these, Interpolating them. Creating a animation using the vector of the target to create a grid for mixing the animation.

Maybe you could use rope physics, but I'm not sure if that would give you something believable.

I second the suggestion of inverse kinematics at runtime, because it promises to combine physically correct animation (you would effectively simulate muscles with limited forces and torques) and high versatility (adapting to any target location, from any tentacle state, at any time).

Pinging Washu right now...

This is not the tentacle monster you are looking for...

0 - Octopus

--- - leg

0--- <joint>---<joint>---<joint>---

You define default attack animation by rotating legs (bones)

Simple interpolation table which contains all rotation and translation data for each leg model that is anyway drawn . well **********************************************

draw few dots with different colors in paint, then save it as bitmap load bitmap in your program and for each FloodFill you find a set of pixels with same color that is lets say less than 32 pixels, yiou sum each pixel pos and divide it by amount of pixels for object this is your position

you draw another Animation frame, now each color represents duifferent rotation.

you calculate all needed data (translation and rotation from this)

since your (whole monster model) has position and rotation data, you can define where legs start

now its up to you how you will draw that and which path you should follow you dude need to understand some basic concepts of defining things.

there are so many ways to do this now that i wont even say.....

If we knew exactly what engine(if you are using one) or code/platform you are using, we could give you better suggestions that better fit exactly what you are doing.  For example, if you told me you were using Unity, I would suggest you get a little budget and purchase FinalIK, which would make this problem be taken care of quite handily.  Other engines have IK as well, though not all of them.

In a general sense, there is more than one way to do this.  I don't know your game, but if 'zones' could work, as in if you could pre-can some animations for a few different spots, then you could just play the right animation depending on which zone is closest to the player.  If you made it to where the tentacle ends up flat on the ground, then you could just animate it going straight forward, and have the enemy turn towards the player first, then do the animation.  If that doesn't work then you need a way to calculate the bones.  If you implemented IK, it could be a solution.  Another solution could be sort of making a parabola type of curve and making your bones follow that, but I don't know how well you could make that look good.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!