• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Magogan

Nebula rendering

This topic is 557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there,

I am currently trying to render nebulae in space. I have already managed to render the semi-transparency order-independent, but I'm stuck with the problem that when I render multiple axis-aligned planes, it looks like a grid when you look from a steep angle (see attached file).

Is there a way to fix this? I have to be able to move in space and into/within nebulae, so just rendering a sky dome is not possible I guess. Rendering spheres around the particles could be an option, but for this there is the problem that spheres overlap and therefore it may look bad, too.

Edit: I could multiply the transparency with the dot product of the plane normal and the normalized vector between the point on the plane and the camera. I will try this and tell you the results.

Edit 2: This looks better (see second attached file), but I still have maxima at the vertices because colors are interpolated...

Edited by Magogan

Advertisement

If it were me I would use a post processing effect to render the nebula. You can apply a blur to soften things up and also use the depth map to smooth around objects(space ships or whatever).

Please, no blur! Could you not just raycasting ( Wolfenstein 3d) ? Spare GPU or CPU core   to texture. There are so many sophisticated working nebulas with lightning, but raycasting is dead simple.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!