• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fancypants

Project Building executable directory permissions.

This topic is 496 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings-

Well I don't know if this has changed. It is a very important topic if you are not looking at your projects carefully. I need absolute control of a /bin directory to give 777 permissions on Windows 10 Home with VS2015 Community. I had the command internally documented and now cannot referecne this on the net.

Can anyone just give me the Developer's prompt one that sets the current build users permission to allow to write for all to the selected directory. In my case /bin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

-- Install configuration: "Debug"
2>  CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:31 (file):
2>    file cannot create directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/GameEngine/bin.  Maybe
2>    need administrative privileges.

Regards-

Chris Russo

Advertisement
Program Files always needs admin privileges. Do not ever modify the rights in that folder, nothing good comes from this.

If this is for a setup, you need to add a proper manifest with RequireAdminPrivileges to the setup executable.
If this is not for a setup, it's wrong. Program Files should be treated as read only once the program is installed.

If you need to to save dynamic data, use the intended places like the users app data folder.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!