• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NikiTo

Checking architecture not working for me

This topic is 516 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(if the error is pity, please, forgive me, I am new to C++)

This code:

D3D12_FEATURE_DATA_D3D12_OPTIONS tiers;
if (FAILED(adapterList[i].Device->CheckFeatureSupport(D3D12_FEATURE_D3D12_OPTIONS, &tiers, sizeof(tiers)))) {
    std::cout << "Failed to query the options for adapter " << i << "." << std::endl;
}
else {
    std::cout << "Options query for adapter " << i << " SUCCEEDED" << std::endl;
}

D3D12_FEATURE_DATA_ARCHITECTURE arch;
if (FAILED(adapterList[i].Device->CheckFeatureSupport(D3D12_FEATURE_ARCHITECTURE, &arch, sizeof(arch))))
{
    std::cout << "Failed to query the architecture for adapter " << i << "." << std::endl;
}
else {
    std::cout << "Architecture query for adapter " << i << " SUCCEEDED" << std::endl;
}

is giving me this output:

Options query for adapter 0 SUCCEEDED
Failed to query the architecture for adapter 0.
Options query for adapter 1 SUCCEEDED
Failed to query the architecture for adapter 1.
(the shown code is inside a for-loop)

(maybe helpful details:
I read there is a D3D12_FEATURE_DATA_ARCHITECTURE1 but VS 2017 intellisense is not detecting it. I am using Intel C++ compiler through VS)

Edited by NikiTo

Advertisement

From what I can see, the only thing you seem to be missing is setting the Node Index on arch, think it should default to a value though it may not o.O.

try setting an arch.NodeIndex to the same value as the physical adaptor, cause thats the only thing I can see, though at work atm so not looking too hard :P

Correct, you're passing an uninitialized struct which has in/out data. If you aren't supporting multi-node, then you should at least set the node index to 0.

Thank you, people!
I am trying to make it work the way you say, but the second device fails.

I am not sure, but I think I have to pass-in 00000 for adapter 0, 010000 for adapter 1, 0010000 for adapter 2 etc.(numbers of adapters start from zero)
I will keep trying, but could you tell me how to pass it? I will code it, no problem, but you could tell me how it exactly goes this way maybe:
device 0 is 0000000

device 1 is 1000000

device 2 is 0100000

device 3 is 0010000
knowing the exact way it goes will let me to program it to be scalable. I now have 2 devices, but maybe in the future I  could have 10 :)

You're (probably) not running on a multi-node system. You should always pass 0 for the node index, unless you are sure there is more than one node. Nodes are not the same as logical DXGI adapters. A single DXGI adapter may have multiple nodes - this is usually the case for SLI/CrossFire.

Before attempting to get the architecture, i detect three adapters, intel, radeon and the fake one windows provide. Then i see intel is initializing at dx12 and radeon too but slightly higher revision and tier 3 while intel has tier 1. I print their full names. I am printing all this to be sure all works because i am new to C++. I can run well various multi-adapter demos too with no problems. I am 98% sure my code detects and initializes 2 adapters. I just need to be sure how very exactly the nodeIndex is passed because i could fall into false positive with only two adapters. And if some day i have more adapters code will crash if not coded correctly, and i will probably have bad time debugging it.

Using IDXGIFactory, you can EnumAdapters to find those 3 adapters, yes. Then if you create a D3D12 device on each of them, you can discover that some of them might be made up of multiple nodes. See ID3D12Device::GetNodeCount. Each node can theoretically have a different architecture. You can target certain API objects at multiple nodes (e.g. a resource or heap can be visible to multiple nodes through its VisibleNodeMask), while other API objects must belong to a single done (e.g. a command list takes a node mask that must only have a single node bit set). However to use a resource on a device created on a different IDXGIAdapter, it must be created as SHARED_CROSS_ADAPTER. Essentially, nodes are a lightweight way of using multiple GPUs that belong to the same IHV and tend to have similar/identical properties.

Unless you're running on an SLI/CrossFire configuration, GetNodeCount() will probably return 1. For node indices, the API will only accept 0. For node masks, the API will accept 0 (i.e. default) or 1 (1 << 0, indicating node 0). If there was a second node, then GetNodeCount() would return 2, the API would accept 0 or 1 for node indices, and for node masks you could specify 0 or 1 to target just the first GPU, 2 to target the second, and 3 to target both (if applicable).

Unless you're attempting to take advantage of SLI/CrossFire, you can ignore the node indices/mask and just use 0.

Thank you very much, Jesse! I will dive again into the whole matter to gain better understanding of multi-adapters.

If I understood it correctly, on a computer there could be various adapters and each of those adapters could have various sub-adapters(said in a simply way). For now I will attend only the case of my computer. It is just too much for me now to program against all cases.

last output:
Adapter 0 has 1 nodes
Adapter 1 has 1 nodes
Architecture test for adapter 0 SUCCEEDED
Architecture of adapter 0 is UMA
Architecture test for adapter 1 SUCCEEDED
Architecture of adapter 1 is NOT UMA

Edited by NikiTo

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!