• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

String Pulling Psychology

This topic is 512 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Which statement is true?

1) If an agent is travelling from point A to point C via point B, and if the subpath is walkable, I delete point B

2) If an agent is travelling from point A to point C via point B, and if the subpath is not walkable,I delete point B....

OK, I think I got it...

First, I test for Point A to C, if it is walkable, delete B

Then test for A to D, if it is walkable, delete C

If Not,

Start from C, and test C to E etc

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b

Advertisement
Neither, I believe. String pulling as I understand it is more like:

3) If an agent is travelling from A to C via B, and there is a direct route from A to C, then scratch B.

It doesn't matter whether or not A-B;B-C is walkable if there exists A-C.

Worth noting, before I begin... we generally frown on doing people's homework on here. That said...

Unfortunately, there are a couple of different uses of the term "string-pulling". In one, you delete intermediate nodes if a straight line exists between 2 nodes. In that case, #1 is correct. Here's an image to support.

gQn0S.png

This one is good for use on nav graphs where there is a lot of redundancy.

In nav mesh environments where there is less redundancy (but still possible), there is another application of string pulling -- cutting corners. Rather than moving to the middle of a poly or the middle of an edge segment, you actually tighten it towards the nearest point. Image...

Figure-11-String-pulling.png

That one is a bit more complicated -- especially for non-0 radius bodies since you have to do the math to find out your new destination along that edge.

Edited by IADaveMark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!