• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

how many there are types of sprites?

Hi.

i think there are two types of sprites. one type is normal (I need know What's it called?) and second is pixelart.

actually I need know how many there are types of sprites and What's them called?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Three types: Small, medium and large.

What are you talking about?

Wrong!  4, now offering extra large sprites for the price of a medium!

yes, i mean art style.

As many as you can think of.

Some are super-low res (think 1980s graphics), others can be hugely detailed pixel art (e.g. Owlboy as a recent example), or stick to other rules (e.g. just using x specific colors, only of x size, etc.). You can also have essentially photos or renders from 3D objects.

Some are animated, others are static. Some are affected by lighting and shader effects, others are unlit, etc.

Why do you ask? Maybe we can give better answers if we know what you're thinking about.

Thanks for reply.

I want know how many art styles exist for 2d game development?

I think there are two styles : PixelArt and Vector Graphics, right? or there is another styles?

PixelArt and Vector Graphics

For strictly 2D I think those two cover it... Sort of. You may want to also consider procedural 2D art, which may or may not fit alongside those, depending on where you want to draw your category borders.

What you're calling "PixelArt" is canonically referred to as raster art or bitmap art, although what you're discussing here is really rendering styles rather than art styles.

In my experience the term "sprite" is most commonly used to refer to raster type graphic instances.

A few games have also started with 3D models that they then pre-render into sprites.

A friend of mine also wrote some modern shaders that reproduce this effect in real-time when you render a normal 3D model. Edited by Nypyren

actually I need know how many there are types of sprites and What's them called?

I don't understand the question.

A sprite is a collection of pixels. There is only one type of sprite.

PixelArt and Vector Graphics

For strictly 2D I think those two cover it... Sort of. You may want to also consider procedural 2D art, which may or may not fit alongside those, depending on where you want to draw your category borders.

What you're calling "PixelArt" is canonically referred to as raster art or bitmap art, although what you're discussing here is really rendering styles rather than art styles.

In my experience the term "sprite" is most commonly used to refer to raster type graphic instances.

Thanks. Khatharr.

I don't understand the question.

A sprite is a collection of pixels. There is only one type of sprite.

I fixed my question. my correct question is: how many art styles exist for 2d game development?

Edited by behdadsoft

The question is still fundamentally flawed. The world doesn't come in neat categories that everyone agrees upon. The world comes in messy collections of individual things, and we impose a categorization on them so we can reason about them. But this categorization is specific of what kinds of things we are trying to think about.

How many types of fruit are there? Well, a farmer might be interested in grafting, and then the classification between fruits with seeds (apples, pears) and fruits with pits (peaches, plums) might be a useful one. But for other purposes it might be more useful to classify fruits by size, by sugar content, by shelf life, by average productivity of the crops, or by whether they are likely to give some people allergies.

Your question doesn't make sense if we don't know for what purpose you are trying to classify sprites into classes.

many art styles exist for 2d game development?

I still don't understand the question.

How is art-style relevant for 2d game development?

Art style is a way of drawing figures, manga is an art style, cartoon-ish is an art style. There are close to an infinite number of art styles.

How is the way of drawing figures in a sprite relevant for game development?

many art styles exist for 2d game development?

I still don't understand the question.

How is art-style relevant for 2d game development?

Art style is a way of drawing figures, manga is an art style, cartoon-ish is an art style. There are close to an infinite number of art styles.

How is the way of drawing figures in a sprite relevant for game development?

Edit:

What are you going to do if we say there are 5 types of sprites?

Let's call them A, B, C, D, and E.

What is your next step?

We would like to help you.

We would like to help you.

Thanks.

I searched in google and find below link that is about art styles for 2d and 3d games. I seen there is two art for 2d games. (PixelArt and Vector Graphics). but I want know there is more than two art style for 2d games or not.

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2013/06/11/Creating-art-for-your-game-when-you-are-a-programmer.aspx

Edited by behdadsoft

I wouldn't call pixel-art and vector-graphics art styles, but sure, raster-graphics and vector-graphics seems to cover most forms of graphics for 2D for computer games

actually I need know how many there are types of sprites and What's them called?

No, you don't need to learn about vague and subjective labels, you need to choose the style of the sprites in your game and whether you should use sprites at all. It's a mostly technical and objective decision:

• What art styles would be appropriate? How are games with a similar style to what you like rendered? Imitate their techniques.
  • What are the involved artists good at producing? Adapt your style and your game engine to the kind of art that is available at low cost and/or high quality.
  • On the other hand, the choice of game engine dictates the kind of art that can be used.
  • What size is your display? Given the relative size of whatever you want to draw, the choice between low-resolution "pixel art", very high resolution sprites and anything in between makes itself.

sounds like a homework question

Yes that is what i think. It's not really a developing questions. 

Well, since it's been about three weeks since the OP posted that, and they haven't been back, it probably doesn't matter any more.