• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Vulkan What is the proper way to create a mipmapped texture in Vulkan?

Hey,

I am wondering what is the most efficient way to create a mipmapped texture for use with a texture sampler in Vulkan. Basically I have a bunch of mip levels that I want to tuck into an image with the tiling set to VK_IMAGE_TILING_OPTIMAL, the layout VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_SHADER_READ_ONLY_OPTIMAL and the memory properties VK_MEMORY_PROPERTY_DEVICE_LOCAL_BIT.

To be able to map to host memory and memcpy the pixel data into the image I have to create a staging image with VK_IMAGE_TILING_LINEAR right? However, VK_IMAGE_TILING_LINEAR only supports one mip level. So what I do is create a staging image for every mip level, memcpy into those and then copy the mip level 0 of each staging image into the correct mip level of the final texture, with vkCmdCopyImage.

This seems like an awful lot of temporary images and copying just to get the texture put together. Is this the best way to do it? How do you do it? Do you have a pool of staging images or do you create temporaries every time?

Cheers!

Advertisement

There are a couple of different ways to load mipmapped textures in Vulkan. I use this way:

• create a buffer that is big enough to contain all mipmap levels
  • bind it to pre-allocated scratch memory that is VK_MEMORY_PROPERTY_HOST_VISIBLE_BIT
  • copy the mipmaps into the buffer using vkMapMemory, memcpy, vkUnmapMemory
  • create an image with VK_IMAGE_TILING_OPTIMAL and bind it to VK_MEMORY_PROPERTY_DEVICE_LOCAL_BIT memory
  • use vkCmdCopyBufferToImage with VkBufferImageCopy entries for each mipmap that contain the offset into the buffer to point to the mip data.

Also make sure to use vkGetBufferMemoryRequirements and vkGetImageMemoryRequirements. The scratch host visible memory size is 6mb, which is enough for most textures and all the device local textures go into one huge memory.

This works well for mipmapped textures and also mipmapped cube maps.

Edited by Mete

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By turanszkij
      Hi, right now building my engine in visual studio involves a shader compiling step to build hlsl 5.0 shaders. I have a separate project which only includes shader sources and the compiler is the visual studio integrated fxc compiler. I like this method because on any PC that has visual studio installed, I can just download the solution from GitHub and everything just builds without additional dependencies and using the latest version of the compiler. I also like it because the shaders are included in the solution explorer and easy to browse, and double-click to open (opening files can be really a pain in the ass in visual studio run in admin mode). Also it's nice that VS displays the build output/errors in the output window.
      But now I have the HLSL 6 compiler and want to build hlsl 6 shaders as well (and as I understand I can also compile vulkan compatible shaders with it later). Any idea how to do this nicely? I want only a single project containing shader sources, like it is now, but build them for different targets. I guess adding different building projects would be the way to go that reference the shader source project? But how would they differentiate from shader type of the sources (eg. pixel shader, compute shader,etc.)? Now the shader building project contains for each shader the shader type, how can other building projects reference that?
      Anyone with some experience in this?
    • By mark_braga
      I am working on a compute shader in Vulkan which does some image processing and has 1024 * 5=5120 loop iterations (5 outer and 1024 inner)
      If I do this, I get a device lost error after the succeeding call to queueSubmit after the image processing queueSubmit
      // Image processing dispatch submit(); waitForFence(); // All calls to submit after this will give the device lost error If I lower the number of loops from 1024 to 256 => 5 * 256 = 1280 loop iterations, it works fine. The shader does some pretty heavy arithmetic operations but the number of resources bound is 3 (one SRV, one UAV, and one sampler). The thread group size is x=16 ,y=16,z=1
      So my question - Is there a hardware limit to the number of loop executions/number of instructions per shader?
    • By AxeGuywithanAxe
      I wanted to see how others are currently handling descriptor heap updates and management.
      I've read a few articles and there tends to be three major strategies :
      1 ) You split up descriptor heaps per shader stage ( i.e one for vertex shader , pixel , hull, etc)
      2) You have one descriptor heap for an entire pipeline
      3) You split up descriptor heaps for update each update frequency (i.e EResourceSet_PerInstance , EResourceSet_PerPass , EResourceSet_PerMaterial, etc)
      The benefits of the first two approaches is that it makes it easier to port current code, and descriptor / resource descriptor management and updating tends to be easier to manage, but it seems to be not as efficient.
      The benefits of the third approach seems to be that it's the most efficient because you only manage and update objects when they change.
    • By khawk
      CRYENGINE has released their latest version with support for Vulkan, Substance integration, and more. Learn more from their announcement and check out the highlights below.
      Substance Integration
      CRYENGINE uses Substance internally in their workflow and have released a direct integration.

Vulkan API
      A beta version of the Vulkan renderer to accompany the DX12 implementation. Vulkan is a cross-platform 3D graphics and compute API that enables developers to have high-performance real-time 3D graphics applications with balanced CPU/GPU usage. 

Entity Components
      CRYENGINE has addressed a longstanding issue with game code managing entities within the level. The Entity Component System adds a modular and intuitive method to construct games.
      And More
      View the full release details at the CRYENGINE announcement here.

View full story
    • By khawk
      The AMD GPU Open website has posted a brief tutorial providing an overview of objects in the Vulkan API. From the article:
      Read more at http://gpuopen.com/understanding-vulkan-objects/.

View full story
  • Advertisement