• Advertisement
rogerdv

My posts about RPG design, need your opinions

This topic is 533 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im writing a series of articles about RPG design in my blogs, and I would like to hear your opinions about what I say. Here is the first, about designing the first quests in open world games, and the second, about the awful quest design in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Feel free to criticize or contribute with your own ideas. In case you can read spanish, the you can find the original versions in my spanish blog.

Advertisement

1). You could use better wording than saying to add things that are "redundant activities."  I agree that you should add things in the main quest line that re-iterate on the main game play loop, but the player should never think of that word when playing a game, even if it is an RPG

2). I've never played ME Andromeda, but it seems that one of your main problems with the game contradicts with a statement you said in #1 about adding "redundant activities" to help familiarize the player with the core game play loop.  Perhaps you could make a distinction about this in the first blog.

3). Please don't call people who play games stupid on a blog about gaming.

Hope this helps! :)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!