• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Examples for the Limitations of Construct over Programming

Hello, I've studied programming, but haven't used it in years. I could definitely relearn it, but for some reason I'm really interested in trying out Construct 2 (or 3 which is in beta). I often hear it said that you just can't do anywhere near as much or as deeply in the drag and drop techniques of Construct vs. full-on coding. But I'd like specific basic examples of limitations if that's possible.

What I mean is something like this (this may or may not be true, it's just an example): 

- Construct can't do while loops.

- Construct doesn't allow class inheritance (or maybe it doesn't even have classes for all I know)

Thanks. I just want to get some sort of picture of what limitations I'm in for should I pursue Construct.

Advertisement
Hello, I've studied programming, but haven't used it in years.

That wouldn't matter much, the principles remain the same; you would only need to check the updates in your language of choice. 

What I mean is something like this (this may or may not be true, it's just an example):  - Construct can't do while loops. - Construct doesn't allow class inheritance (or maybe it doesn't even have classes for all I know)

I never used Construct 2, so I wanted to check some facts first.

Construct 2 has while loops and classes, like most graphics engines it's just hidden. They are known as Object types and Event types.

Considering that the engine was coded, the developers would have known that these where needed to make games, so it's no surprise to see them there.

The true limitations in using Construct or similar engines is in flexibility, not ability.

What I mean is that if you looked at the Object types, they are intended to be used as objects. You could use them to store abilities, however you would have to design your abilities around the Object instead of adjusting the class to match the ability.

There isn't any "specific" thing that you can't do in construct, it's just that you don't get to do it the way you want.

Most of the important parts of a game is easy to do with Construct 2, the engine also adapts to what users want.

In short:

Making a complex game in construct will be like fooling the engine into doing what you want, where with code you could just tell it to do what you want.

Edited by Scouting Ninja