What types of games would you like to see in the future?

Started by
24 comments, last by MarcusAseth 6 years, 8 months ago

It could be a new type of experience that current technology is not yet capable of, or a dead genre that almost never gets made anymore, as a couple examples. What types of games would you like to see in the future that are either not currently possible or in extremely short supply?

Here's a couple things I'd like to see:

More complex and dynamic worlds, on increasingly large scales. I hope that by 2060, I'll be able to play a game where you can pour a massive stream of water off of some huge cliffs and recreate the Niagara Falls in all their breath-taking glory. Or make various parts of an ocean rise and fall by 100s of meters to create spectacular tidal rapids that put the Skookumchuck Narrows, the Saltstraumen, and the Horizontal Falls to shame. Or witness a massive volcano erupt realistically over a 10km area, without having to risk your life. If game engines ever get to the point where they can do all of the above without any scripted animations, and computers become powerful enough to render it all in realtime, then the possibilities for virtual tourism would be nearly endless. Even more so with the quality of VR that would be available by then.

This one is a little more down-to-earth: More games about using your skills to achieve as high a score as possible. Highscores in games have become a lot less common than they were at the height of the arcade era. Even among modern games that do have highscores, most of them are mobile games that are more about farming for upgrades or microtransactions than they are about actual player skill. Some of the few successful and high quality skill-based highscoring games I can think of in recent years would be the Touhou series, Spelunky, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. I would really like to see this type of game make a big comeback at some point.

These things don't necessarily have to be mixed together, but I suppose that could be enjoyable as well (Eg, climbing a mountain with dynamic weather conditions as fast as possible).

Advertisement

I'd like to see mmo's the are made primarily for consoles before computers. I really get into a game more on a controller than a keyboard, and mmos are my favorite genre.

Mend and Defend

More complex and dynamic worlds, on increasingly large scales.

I have something similar to this. I want to see fully working flowers in games.

You don't notice this much, however in the gaming world plants are very-very simple things. Even the few attempts I have seen at improving them always falls short.

Right now as things are, we could maybe make one plant that responds to VR like a real plant. It would take a physics rig with joints, all we know of kinematics, a mesh that could change at realtime and a rig that could change with it. You would need to apply some soft body physics and a organic shader with realtime subsurface.

Right now you would waste the whole engines resources just to make one, however in the future of games there should be some point where this is normal.

Agree with v1Xus finding a good quality game these days is a hard task to nearly impossible. Each game tastes like all the other games that are out there without anything amazing or play-worthy in it. I might be utopistic but making games for money rather than the making a game is the all time dead of good ideas and budgets aren't at a top level these days.

A good example is my all-time favorite Spellforce. The old part 1 game (and its AddOns) was a real pleasure to play when the second part was still OK but did not have had that quality of the first one. These so called "standalone AddOns" are a shame to the game. Here you see how sloughting a brand makes the game go worse and thats sadly how most games are made today. The Elder Scrolls Online announced as the one holy grail of mmo at the end has found its place in the ranks of WoW and co. as another mmo in its series. Nothing special here again.

I think producers sitting at the publishers are getting older too and might think what works 20 years before might work now as well so we need more fresh ideas and people willing to support them

I'd like to see mmo's the are made primarily for consoles before computers. I really get into a game more on a controller than a keyboard, and mmos are my favorite genre.

Have you played Final Fantasy XIV or the Phantasy Star Online series? I don't know if they work as well on a controller as you are hoping for, and I haven't played them myself, but I do know that those games have console versions.

A good example is my all-time favorite Spellforce.

Spellforce is probably one of my favourite games as well, and I was quite active on their official forums (I also hosted an online guide and FAQ). I think it was certainly the novelty of the way they crossed genres that made the game as popular as it was. As either an RPG or an RTS it was fairly shallow, but they did a good job of balancing the two out, so you didn't really notice so much. BoW and SotP were released shortly enough after TOoD to capitalize on the novelty, but by the time that SF2 was released, the momentum was gone. The game wasn't capable of impressing on merit alone, as it fell short compared to other games being released around the same time.

I'd love to see VR games become like sports: i.e., they are broadcasted and everything etc. It'd be cool to watch people playing Team Fortress 2 competitively in VR.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I'd like to see more games that revolve around the player building skills, similar to counter strike or starcraft. In those games, all players start on a level playing field each round, from absolute beginner to pro (same gear, same available weapons, etc). There's too many games that give advantages to players that hit certain levels, ruining the experience for newer players. Halo 4 was a big disappointment to me because I couldn't start a round with the same weapons as other players. I was told "It'll be better when you hit level 20 and unlock the weapons and perks".

After playing a bunch of "Onward" I'm convinced that this kind of shooter in VR is so different from the traditional First-Person-Shooter genre that it's actually a completely new genre. It feels nothing like playing a regular FPS game any more, and the level of communication (both verbal and non-verbal) and interaction is just incomparable.
There's bugger all games in this new genre though, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the future when VR goes mass market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement