Sign in to follow this  
ErnieDingo

Strafe : Air Support

I've been working on this from scratch on a little game project for the last 11 months.  

Strafe : Air Support is inspired from my youth of Raid on Bungling bay on the C64 and the arcade 1942.

This is my first project since the days of the Amiga 1200 and will continue to build on it as I go.  Building all the tools also from scratch, I have a dev build I publish every week to my friends on my facebook site - https://www.facebook.com/InsaneSoftware.com.au/

If enough interest, happy to continue to post progress here.  Hoping to release for PC and XBox One sometime into the future.  Still looking for artist and another Dev to accelerate development.

Screenshots

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_2.png

screenshot_3.jpg

screenshot_4.jpg

Youtube video - April Build - Version 0.39 (since then release builds are up to version 0.51)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2szhqU_t2M&t=67s

New version (0.53) available on Facebook site - Powersup now drop (Armour/Regen/Splitfire), so should be a little more fun.  They have to be refined but it adds another gameplay dimension.  A few other things added, but will leave that up to yourselves to find :)

Screenshot_best.png

At the moment it's a very early demo, rather that I just publish on here.  I believe I am more than 12 months from a completed first level (as Im doing this on my own with no assistance.)  If I do end up getting some help on this, I will revisit but I don't think its in the best state for review.

Version 0.56 uploaded tonight with quite a few changes since the last post I made here.  Enjoy, feel free to let me know how it runs.  Interested to know performance on different machines.

Version 0.58 is up on the web site, enjoy.  Enhanced graphics around water, still alot to do in this space, but the initial work is done.

As usual, link on the facebook site at top post.

screenshot.png

Version 0.61 is up (been there for a week :)), includes a number of improvements to AI targeting, will be uploading a new version friday with a host of additional changes.  Enjoy.

That's fun :D

My subjective wishlist (all leading to less realism):

More freedom of movement (sharper turn angles, lower and higher min and max speed), because i want to move the joystick beyond its limits all the time. Enemies could stand resist hits to leverage diffulicty.

Larger planes, they appear really small.

Better visibility of planes vs. background (less bright reflection on water, brighter shadows... to reduce background contrast)

Levels with canyon fly through.

Better sense of hight (the plane shadow, does not help due the angles light direction - maybe drwing a dot straight below the planes on the ground)

I'm adding in special moves to enhance game play.  The angle of light is definitely an issue so i will look into adding something under the plane

Shadow contrast i can improve. Make it darker. 

Definitely be adding in canyons/mountains to restrict the fly zones. 

Lots to do 😊  definitely be more arcade like. 

2 hours ago, ErnieDingo said:

Shadow contrast i can improve. Make it darker. 

Oh, i meant brighter shadows, not darker, so the background has less contrast. Allthough your shadows are ok as they are - just personal taste really.

But it would be very nice if the water would be more transparent and the under see terrain would shine through where it is not extremely deep. (similar to the cyan gradient around isles  you already have.) Maybe some kind of green / cyan / blue noise with a bit of red for corall reefs, and a cool refraction effect coming from waves. I think this could look really yummy and less boring, and it would help with orientation too.

11 hours ago, JoeJ said:

Oh, i meant brighter shadows, not darker, so the background has less contrast. Allthough your shadows are ok as they are - just personal taste really.

But it would be very nice if the water would be more transparent and the under see terrain would shine through where it is not extremely deep. (similar to the cyan gradient around isles  you already have.) Maybe some kind of green / cyan / blue noise with a bit of red for corall reefs, and a cool refraction effect coming from waves. I think this could look really yummy and less boring, and it would help with orientation too.

Still looking through doing this, need an artist to complete it.  I do have visions of doing this though. :)