• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
myvraccount

Steganography questions

This topic is 412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to hide data inside the bit planes of a bitmap.  I have a few questions:

1.  I obviously only want to hide the data in noisy parts, but what's the best way to determine which parts are noisy enough?  Should I use some statistical calculation of the pixels, or what?

2.  I suppose I should divide the image into small segments (like 8x8 or 16x16), so I can separate, and then flag each noisy segment.  What's a good size to use?  It seems like the larger the size is, the more likely it will contain shapes that are not noisy enough to hide data (like if I used a quarter of the image as a segment), but if they're too small, they may not tell me anything useful.

3.  Here's a tough one.  How do I retain the information about which segments are actually being used?  If I just store data wherever I want, and then when I try to read it out, I measure the noise of the segments the same way, I've already altered the data in the image by storing hidden data into it, so I might not get the same results, and it wouldn't correctly know where my data is stored.  Alternatively, it seems like I could take the flags I've made to tell me that information, and store them into the file, so I can read them out first, and that would tell me where the actual hidden data is stored.  But if I do this, where should I store the flags?  If I just store them in some arbitrary part of the image, wouldn't I have the same problem of risking storing them somewhere that isn't noisy enough?  Also, might the flags use a significant amount of the space that I have for storing the data?

Advertisement

This isn't really a 'For Beginners' topic or even a game-development topic, so I don't see why you're posting it here. Locked.

This topic is 412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.