I get the anti-adblock screen even though my adblock is disabled.

Started by
10 comments, last by LennyLen 6 years, 10 months ago

What gives?

Advertisement

For this type of issue it is generally helpful to list your exact browser version, all the script-blocking or ad-blocking or proxies or VPNs or web-antivirus in place, and list if you are behind corporate/academic firewalls.

My guess is that you've got something between your browser and the site that prevents the flag indicating you've seen ads. The trick is finding out exactly what piece that is.

Also, while I generally agree ads are distasteful, if you support the site directly through GDNet+ membership you can avoid paying through ads.

Also, while I generally agree ads are distasteful, if you support the site directly through GDNet+ membership you can avoid paying through ads.

Doesn't really work as it should yet, though...

Hello to all my stalkers.

I didn't know there were issues with that.

Since I'm on here so much I whitelisted the ads for the site since I prefer giving ad revenue, and the ad networks know me well enough that sometimes there is even interesting stuff to click on.

Upgrade coming soon that will fix many problems, such as this.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Will it fix the issue of ads still appearing when they shouldn't? Perhaps this will sound selfish on my part, but I know I would consider it more important to address the concerns of the people who pay to support the site rather than the people who don't.

Will it fix the issue of ads still appearing when they shouldn't? Perhaps this will sound selfish on my part, but I know I would consider it more important to address the concerns of the people who pay to support the site rather than the people who don't.

Yes. This isn't a minor upgrade. This is completely new software, which is why it's taking so long. But in that sense, it's also an opportunity for a clean slate, and priority is to ensure those who pay to support the site have the best experience.

I'm not going to say launch will be perfect - something will probably go wrong - but unlike now, at least we'll be able to fix it.

The upgrade is happening soon. And by soon I mean within a week.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Teething troubles are to be expected, and so long as there is a change, I'm content.

This site is important to me, and I do want to support it. I can only barely afford to do so at the moment however, so it has become difficult to justify the expense, when there seems to be little return (for me at least; I'm not interested in most of the GDNet+ features, but as someone who used to work in advertising, I've had my share and don't want to see it any more).

I have confidence in you guys, so here's to better things!

so it has become difficult to justify the expense, when there seems to be little return

I hear you. I'm not happy with the current level of offering, but we're doing things like the CRC Press partnership and more in the future. We want GDNet+ members to not only support the site, but to receive value from their memberships beyond that support.

The upgrade is a major milestone in having a platform that allows us to do more. If you haven't seen it yet, these are the new benefits we're starting with, and we'll have a platform that we can take further: https://www.gamedev.net/blog/2223/entry-2262909-upgrade-update-gdnet/.

Admin for GameDev.net.

and priority is to ensure those who pay to support the site have the best experience.

Don't ignore those of us who cannot pay for various reasons, but will gladly suffer through the irritation of ads to support the site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement