• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Thaumaturge

Portal Culling, and the Borders Between Cells

This topic is 477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using portal culling in my current project, and while it seems to work well overall, I find myself uncertain of how to proceed on one particular point: how to handle objects--especially dynamic objects--placed over the boundaries between cells.

As I have things at the moment, there are gaps between the cells used for portal-culling. I honestly forget why this is; I just recall that I had some reason for doing so. (It may be related to the fact that--if I have it correct--this portal-culling system allows only a single parent-cell for each object.)

As to my portals, I place these slightly within their destination cells; I think that this was so that the camera's near-plane didn't pass a portal--thus removing the objects to which it allows view--before the camera entered the destination cell of that portal.

Static objects, included in the level-geometry, aren't that difficult to deal with: they can be split at the border, and such elements are manually attached to their parent cells in any case.

Dynamic objects, whether unmoving-but-animated, such as doors, or simply objects that move or that may be placed down by the player, are more troublesome.

It might be feasible for me to move my cell-boundaries such that they overlap--as I said, I don't recall why I decided to space them apart, and said reason, whatever it is, might prove surmountable or obviated. Even so, that leaves a gap between portals, allowing for the possibility of an object being "behind" the portal that should reveal it.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? (Would it be a good idea to move the point from which I determine the camera's current cell to sit at the centre of the near-plane, rather than at the camera's origin?) I imagine that portal culling is fairly well-understood by now, so how are such cases usually handled?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!