Week of Awesome V - Administration Thread

Started by
124 comments, last by Elijah Leon 6 years, 8 months ago

i'll be using webgl for my game. I'm not much of an artist so i'll be super thankful to you ruithamus for any assets you make~ Not sure what kind of assets you do, i'm going to shoot for N64 style graphics (low poly), but i'll adapt to whatever i can get my hands on as far as art is concerned

Advertisement

I've looked over the rules, but just to double-check: is it acceptable to team up with someone who isn't a member of GameDev.net? I may be teaming up with someone willing to provide sound, but I don't know whether they're a member here.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I'd like to join as well.

Last year I missed it because I managed to plan my vacation right on the competition week. Although for this year I'd like to team up with somebody else if possible. Preferably an artist, because the art I made for my game in the week of awesome III was a bit hit-and-miss.

Team name: Scrambled Eggs
Although I might change it if I team up with somebody.

Great to have you again :), i've added your team, and placed your request in the looking for teammates section. I hope you'll be able to find someone :)

Most should be using Unity, it's the best engine for a game that can be made in a week; Unreal is to heavy for this. Custom engines would also be good.

We've had a number of entrys made in both, I think riu's covered fairly well his feelings on the topic, overall it should be about using the tools your most comfortable with(unless your looking to experiment), and i don't want to dissuade people from using unreal for such a thing. A week is a fair bit of time to get something workable, regardless if you can only use a fraction of the engine's potential.
Overall as riu said this is certainly not the thread to derail into such a discussion, so let's leave it at this then, i'm only bringing it up as i want to make a point that it has been used successfully in prior competitions as well.

I wonder If I start now to make walls, floors, shaders and other basic items -that I know every game uses- is that cheating?

eh, this gets a bit fuzzy in what is/isn't pre-making assets for the game. basically the core idea is nothing is made with the absolute intent of being used just for this game alone. If the asset is used elsewhere and your just stripping it out, that's fine, but pre-making things solely for this competition is not fine. if those assets would belong in another game/app your working on, then it would be ok.

I've looked over the rules, but just to double-check: is it acceptable to team up with someone who isn't a member of GameDev.net? I may be teaming up with someone willing to provide sound, but I don't know whether they're a member here.

Yes, this is fine to have. basically you just can't have more than 4 teammates, and at least the leader of the team will require a gamedev.net account for game submission and posting updates for participation points.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I will be making an asset set for this years stuff, wanted to know if most people plan to use Unity, Unreal, or a custom 2d engine? Thoughts are welcome. The goal is to have roughly 20 - 30 assets available for you guys by the time of the event. This pack will come full with animations, particles, and some icons. Thanks in advance for any and all info you can provide.

Interesting!

I'll be using a custom 2D engine. Empirically it will be a tile-based game unless the themes inspire me away from that.

What sort of assets are you thinking of making? (2d sprites? 3d models? characters/props/scenery? ...)

I'd like to join in again this year.

I want to say that I'm hoping to see if I learned anything since last year but since I plan on going it alone again working with my home brew engine... well I'll just go for the finish and see how it goes.

Same blog location as before for progress reports.

https://www.gamedev.net/blog/878-ksehs-blog/

Yes, this is fine to have. basically you just can't have more than 4 teammates, and at least the leader of the team will require a gamedev.net account for game submission and posting updates for participation points.

Ah, excellent--none of that should be a problem, I believe. Thank you for clarifying! ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

All right, I have a new member to add to my team: Pixel Noise, who will be providing sound! ^_^

Their Twitter account: https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic

(A team-name is still under consideration.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sign our team up please

Team: PizzaFest

Members: SilviuShader, DeadCP, WaLee

Journal: https://www.gamedev.net/blog/2213-silviushaders-woa-dev-journal/

I'm thinking I might give this a shot. I'd like to make a console game, though. Will this be fine as long as I bundle it with a preconfigured emulator? It would be completely free and self-contained, without requiring any proprietary BIOS, etc.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

I'm thinking I might give this a shot. I'd like to make a console game, though. Will this be fine as long as I bundle it with a preconfigured emulator? It would be completely free and self-contained, without requiring any proprietary BIOS, etc.

exactly which console would you be targeting? overall as long as the judge's are able to run it without having to do any leg work(and no files you are distributing are copyrighted in a way that you aren't allowed to distribute them), it should be fine.

I'd also like to give a thanks to Josh petrie who has thrown in an additional 200$ to the prize pool, I've added additional prizes to 4th and 5th place winners as well!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement