slicer4ever

Week of Awesome V - Administration Thread

I'm thinking I might give this a shot. I'd like to make a console game, though. Will this be fine as long as I bundle it with a preconfigured emulator? It would be completely free and self-contained, without requiring any proprietary BIOS, etc.

Oh that's interesting. Like slicer I'd also like to know what platform you will be developing for. The GBA maybe? I've heard that there is an unofficial SDK called DevKitPro which makes creating games for it fairly easy.

By the way, I'm adding a nice feature to my engine (if you can call it that) in preparation for the competition. I've made it so that a game can detect file changes and reload the associated asset without requiring a restart of the game. It's working for shaders now, but will soon also work for textures and sounds. 

22 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Once it starts I am going to make a gamedev blog for my game, do I need to provide a link to the blog for the judges?

You will have to submit the link to your blog (if there is any), where you post your daily updates on the game, in the description while submitting the game. 

Edited by newtechnology

Okay, so since I haven't found an artist to team up with yet. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to place a request in one of the forums. Which one would be more appropriate? The 2D and 3D art forum or the Hobby Projects Classifieds forum?

Even if you don't find a teammate, bear in mind that you may be able to find appropriate royalty-free artwork to use, and I believe that someone indicated previously in this thread that they might produce some assets specifically for entrants to make use of.

Edited by Thaumaturge

Okay, but I'd also like to have the experience of working with another person. Even if it might not be totally optimal time wise. I think I would learn something from it.

1 hour ago, __Toz__ said:

Okay, but I'd also like to have the experience of working with another person. Even if it might not be totally optimal time wise. I think I would learn something from it.

If your looking for an artist i'd make a post under classified, or even look outside gamedev.net itself.  perhaps look through some artist portfolio's on artistic sites such as deviantart and contact some that you like and explain you'd like to team up.  

23 hours ago, __Toz__ said:

And I didn't mean to encourage you against that, I believe, but rather to mention a fallback position against the possibility that your first choice (collaboration) doesn't work out. Indeed, I hope that you do find a collaborator! ^_^

I ran across this on tigsource the other day. I read through the threads from last year and it looks very cool. Love the community spirit and all the feedback. That week is pretty crazy for me, but I want to take a stab at it anyway, so sign me up for a solo effort.  Hmm...do I need a creative team name for one person...? Aubergine Elephant?

--Josh

Welcome to the Week of Awesome, Josh! ^_^

19 hours ago, slicer4ever said:

we are a bit under 2 weeks away from the start of the contest, what technologys are you planning to use?

The same thing we do every night Week of Awesome, Pinky! Try to take over the world!

*ahem* Uh, I mean... My usual array, I intend: Panda3D as my engine, with various modules of my own making, as called for: KeyMapper, GameSaver, TabbedFrame, etc.

I have an update to my team: Pixel Noise has pulled out due to other commitments, I'm afraid; as a result, I'm once again entering solo.

Hmm... Perhaps a change of team-name is in order, then? Let's go with... "Strange Lights".

8 hours ago, JoshGrams said:

I ran across this on tigsource the other day. I read through the threads from last year and it looks very cool. Love the community spirit and all the feedback. That week is pretty crazy for me, but I want to take a stab at it anyway, so sign me up for a solo effort.  Hmm...do I need a creative team name for one person...? Aubergine Elephant?

--Josh

Glad to have you joining us, i'll add you to the list :)

50 minutes ago, Thaumaturge said:

I have an update to my team: Pixel Noise has pulled out due to other commitments, I'm afraid; as a result, I'm once again entering solo.

Hmm... Perhaps a change of team-name is in order, then? Let's go with... "Strange Lights".

That's unfortunate to hear, i've updated you team listing.

As always my weapon--err--language of choice is Java with LibGDX along with a bunch of ancillary code that I've built up over the past few WoA competitions.

Between now and then I need to put together an empty project - don't want to be wasting time during crunch time fighting with any build issues!

No idea what I'm going to build but I'm looking forward to seeing the themes this year.

Alright, it seems integrating the site with gd.net is going to take longer than we'd like.  so we're going with plan B which is running the site from my home server.   I'm honestly not sure what type of load to expect and can be handled(it's running on a little rpi3).  if it seems like the site can't handle things, we will revert back to the standard way we've done things over years past.

anyway, with that out of the way, the site can be found here: https://neonlightgames.com/woa

I will also be running an rss feed throughout the contest with updates to each person's blog entry's: https://neonlightgames.com/woa/Assets/feed.rss

On 7/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, slicer4ever said:

we are a bit under 2 weeks away from the start of the contest, what technologys are you planning to use?

I'll use JavaScript with Pixi.js.

5 hours ago, slicer4ever said:

Interesting -- and I spy a submission form! This stirs some questions in my brain...

Can we still submit multiple times before the end of the compo and trust that the last-most submission will be the one taken?

Where are the submissions hosted after submission? (I'm not massively concerned, just curious).

Will this submission form stay responsive when everybody's using it in the last hour before the deadline? (Would hate to miss the deadline just because it's running slow. Which leads me to ask...)

Is/would it still be acceptable to just post a link here in the forum to our submission, rather than use the form?