Week of Awesome V - Administration Thread

Started by
124 comments, last by Elijah Leon 6 years, 8 months ago

If I understand this correctly, even if I make a browser game and host it somewhere, I will need to bundle it in a windows executable to submit it. Am I right?

you just have to make it runnable offline. I'm going to provide a folder with an index.html and the rest of what i need for example

Advertisement

I'm a tentative yes (how the hell could I not?)

I will be making an asset set for this years stuff, wanted to know if most people plan to use Unity, Unreal, or a custom 2d engine? Thoughts are welcome. The goal is to have roughly 20 - 30 assets available for you guys by the time of the event. This pack will come full with animations, particles, and some icons. Thanks in advance for any and all info you can provide.

I will be making an asset set for this years stuff, wanted to know if most people plan to use Unity, Unreal, or a custom 2d engine?

Most should be using Unity, it's the best engine for a game that can be made in a week; Unreal is to heavy for this. Custom engines would also be good.

I wonder If I start now to make walls, floors, shaders and other basic items -that I know every game uses- is that cheating?

I'd like to join as well.
Last year I missed it because I managed to plan my vacation right on the competition week. Although for this year I'd like to team up with somebody else if possible. Preferably an artist, because the art I made for my game in the week of awesome III was a bit hit-and-miss.
Team name: Scrambled Eggs
Although I might change it if I team up with somebody.

I will be making an asset set for this years stuff, wanted to know if most people plan to use Unity, Unreal, or a custom 2d engine?

Most should be using Unity, it's the best engine for a game that can be made in a week; Unreal is to heavy for this. Custom engines would also be good.

I wonder If I start now to make walls, floors, shaders and other basic items -that I know every game uses- is that cheating?

100% disagree with that comment about Unreal, but thats for another topic :P

I'm planning on using Panda3D, as per usual. That said, unless the themes or rules require it (or I end up with an appropriate team-mate), I currently don't plan on using third-party assets, so my choice of engine is perhaps not relevant to the matter at hand.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

100% disagree with that comment about Unreal, but thats for another topic

Don't think I am Unity's side, honestly I hate the engine and all it stands for. I hate it so much I have to defend my choice even if this isn't the place for it. <_<

However if you just made a Unreal level, with nothing in it and exported as a game it's over 200mb large blank level.

Most of Unreal's tools are made with long term games in mind, you won't be able to use even 20% of the engine in a weeks time.

Unity, as much as I hate to say it, is best for the small games we can make in a week. If someone plans on taking the game past this week, then Unreal would be the best choice.

100% disagree with that comment about Unreal, but thats for another topic

Don't think I am Unity's side, honestly I hate the engine and all it stands for. I hate it so much I have to defend my choice even if this isn't the place for it. <_<

However if you just made a Unreal level, with nothing in it and exported as a game it's over 200mb large blank level.

Most of Unreal's tools are made with long term games in mind, you won't be able to use even 20% of the engine in a weeks time.

Unity, as much as I hate to say it, is best for the small games we can make in a week. If someone plans on taking the game past this week, then Unreal would be the best choice.

Again, I dont want to turn this into an unreal vs unity thread. Some of what you said makes sense, but there are 5 arguments rolled up into one and they dont all make sense for that 1 argument.

So this is what I am going to say, and leave it at that. If you want to dispute my claims please bring that to a PM or something. The only reason I am responding on this thread is so that people are not discouraged to use Unreal due to the comments presented.

1) Unreal engine has BP's (blueprints) which allows for visual based scripting, as fast as or faster than C# prototyping. You can make an entire game with this. So the comment about not even using 20% of the engine in a weeks time is 100% false. You could, within hours, flesh out networking, movement, physics, and have an entire game ready to roll all from Unreal's core project files with minimal modifications via BP scripting.

2) Both Unreal and Unity provide robust systems for making games quickly, however unreal provides artists far more tools out of the box. Meaning, you could have an artist on the team who helps you with the code elements. This can lead to a faster production time. Those coders out there who are also weekend artists can gain perks from this as well. Some of the tools in Unreal are purchase only from Unitys store.

3) The argument for the file size is fairly correct, but that is ONLY if you leave in all the core assets. Our first production of our game (WoA:4 ) was less than 300mb and that was with 100% custom models and textures. So the idea that your game has to be huge is predicated on the concept of using all of the engines "default" content. You can choose to use none of that and work with a very light load based setup.

4) This point is the ONLY point that I would argue Unity is better. Unreal is not as featured packed when it comes to the 2d side of things. Their UI editor is horrible and needs some serious work. With those in mind, if you are running 3D you have no reason to not choose Unreal.

So, while you might think that Unity is better, in all honesty its not. Either tool will work and can be used, its the skills you have with them that will determine if you can use them properly. If you are new coder and never made anything before than C# might be the better path for you (Unity), but it isnt the only path and it isnt the "best" path either. BP scripting is powerful tool that can allow you to create games within minutes using the full feature set of the entire engine. Don't believe me? Check out some of the UE4 gamejams that are ONLY 3 days. Some of the games people product are off the charts and they were done with less than a 5 man team.

I will be making an asset set for this years stuff, wanted to know if most people plan to use Unity, Unreal, or a custom 2d engine? Thoughts are welcome. The goal is to have roughly 20 - 30 assets available for you guys by the time of the event. This pack will come full with animations, particles, and some icons. Thanks in advance for any and all info you can provide.

I'll go 2D. I haven't decided on an engine/library yet, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement