slicer4ever

Week of Awesome V - Administration Thread

slicer4ever    6760
On 7/30/2017 at 9:45 AM, dmatter said:

Interesting -- and I spy a submission form! This stirs some questions in my brain...Can we still submit multiple times before the end of the compo and trust that the last-most submission will be the one taken?

yes, i've built it so it should overwrite the last build that you submitted.  so submitting multiple builds should be A-Ok.

Where are the submissions hosted after submission? (I'm not massively concerned, just curious).

They are stored on my local drive that's hosting the site.  it'll ideally make things easier when i group package them as well.

Will this submission form stay responsive when everybody's using it in the last hour before the deadline? (Would hate to miss the deadline just because it's running slow. Which leads me to ask...)

That is something we will find out.   hopefully it'll be ok, but truthfully i have no idea what sort of load to expect it to be able to handle.

Is/would it still be acceptable to just post a link here in the forum to our submission, rather than use the form?

Yes, as the website is in a questionable state if it'll be able to handle things, this is perfectly fine.  i can manually add entry's as well.  I'd still prefer to try and submit through the site, but if it doesn't seem to be responding, then it's perfectly fine to upload and link in the comp thread and i'll take care of adding it in.

JoshGrams    8
On 7/28/2017 at 5:09 PM, slicer4ever said:

We are a bit under 2 weeks away from the start of the contest, what technologies are you planning to use?

LÖVE has been my tool of choice for quick 2D prototypes for a while, so I'll stick with that.  It's easy to throw in some bfxr sound effects, and I'll probably record some things for foley and sound effects and muck about with them in Audacity.  Might noodle around on the piano for music if I get that far (there are also a couple of guitars, an accordion, a flute, and a trombone around, but I don't *really* play any of those).  Probably Gimp for art since I haven't gotten around to digging up an old version of Krita that runs on my integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics. But I'll leave graphics until later on in the process, so if I get around to coding the shaders I might do some simple Blender models and render them to normal-mapped sprites, since even just basic diffuse lighting always adds a nice touch.

Lactose    11446

4 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

What time zone will the contest be based on?

I want to see if I can be online when it starts.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:25 PM, slicer4ever said:

This years competition will be held from August 7th, 00:01 (EST timezone) to August 13th (23:59 EST timezone).

dmatter    4823
7 hours ago, JoshGrams said:

LÖVE has been my tool of choice for quick 2D prototypes

To my knowledge nobody has used the LÖVE framework for a WoA entry before (or even Lua in general?). I'll be interested to see what you produce with it!

kseh    3838
On 7/28/2017 at 3:09 PM, slicer4ever said:

what technologys are you planning to use?

I'll be going with the assorted C++ code that I've built up over the years and SFML.  Generally thinking I'm quite unprepared and, I'm sure like most people, I don't know whether I'll be able to finish an entry but I'm hoping that all goes well.

Thaumaturge    3825
On 2017/07/30 at 9:49 AM, slicer4ever said:

anyway, with that out of the way, the site can be found here: https://neonlightgames.com/woa

I will also be running an rss feed throughout the contest with updates to each person's blog entry's: https://neonlightgames.com/woa/Assets/feed.rss

Ah, the site is interesting, and nice to see.

I note that the submission form includes a picture-selection--is that a required item, and what is it intended for (screenshots would be my guess)?

I've subscribed to the RSS feed! ^_^

slicer4ever    6760
1 hour ago, Thaumaturge said:

Ah, the site is interesting, and nice to see.

I note that the submission form includes a picture-selection--is that a required item, and what is it intended for (screenshots would be my guess)?

I've subscribed to the RSS feed! ^_^

Yes, either a screenshot or thumbnail for the game. 

__Toz__    318
On 7/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, slicer4ever said:

we are a bit under 2 weeks away from the start of the contest, what technologys are you planning to use?

I'll be using my own engine snowy again. Since the last time I've made a lot of improvements to it. It now has its own bindings to Box2D which ensures I won't run into unfortunate issues with collision again. I've also added a sound module that, among a lot of other stuff, can load ogg files. So now I don't have to include a wav file over twice the size of the executable if I want to add music. :D

On 7/2/2017 at 8:53 PM, slicer4ever said:

If your looking for an artist i'd make a post under classified, or even look outside gamedev.net itself.  perhaps look through some artist portfolio's on artistic sites such as deviantart and contact some that you like and explain you'd like to team up.  

Okay, so I did contact a few artists. Unfortunately they all didn't have any time this week. So I want to post on the Hobby Projects Classifieds instead. However that forum explicitly forbids any paid positions. So my question then is: if I share any price money, does that count as a payment?

slicer4ever    6760
23 minutes ago, Endurion said:

Is the login on https://neonlightgames.com/woa functional? I always get an error message.

Edit: This message editor is getting worse and worse. How the f*ck do I change the text color?

Yes, the site update messed up the api i had used before.   I'm waiting on khawk to get back to me on what i need to change to get it back to working.

jbadams    25676
1 hour ago, Endurion said:

Edit: This message editor is getting worse and worse. How the f*ck do I change the text color?

99%+ of the time when that particular function was used in the past it made the text less readable and we ended up with a moderator altering it back to normal and asking that it not be used.  Because of that, and to reduce clutter in the toolbars, we elected to simply remove the option.

Other than the stuff we've removed on purpose, the new editor seems much more functional than what we had with the previous version of the site - if you've noticed any specific problems, please report them in the CSI forum and we'll take a look.

9 hours ago, __Toz__ said:

So I want to post on the Hobby Projects Classifieds instead. However that forum explicitly forbids any paid positions. So my question then is: if I share any price money, does that count as a payment?

That would be fine in this case.  Note however that to ease things for the contest organisers you may need to handle any sharing of the prize yourself. :)

Thaumaturge    3825

Hmm... I have a question regarding code reuse, if I may:

In my current project, I have a file named "Common.py". It holds a variety of methods and pieces of data that are either game-independent or expected to be accessed from a variety of points in the game's code.

Now, a fair bit of this is game-specific. However, as noted above, some elements are not--things like weighted choices; a convenience function for creating a centred, texture quad; angular calculations; access to the (expected) game "framework" class; etc.

Would it be acceptable for me to use this file, with the game-specific code stripped out?

kseh    3838

I might as well ask too.

I have a few classed I've worked on over the past year that implements a TGUI dialog box such that it presents text to the player to read along the lines of the sort of thing you'd see in a JRPG (text typed to the box, click to speed up or proceed to next page). Selections can be made on text options at the end of the dialog returning the index of the selection that was made.

Would this be ok to use?

From how I understand the rules, it'd be ok but i would need to do whatever writing content that is to appear in the dialogs as well as whatever other logical responses (script programming) to user selections at the time of the contest.

slicer4ever    6760
1 hour ago, Thaumaturge said:

Hmm... I have a question regarding code reuse, if I may:

In my current project, I have a file named "Common.py". It holds a variety of methods and pieces of data that are either game-independent or expected to be accessed from a variety of points in the game's code.

Now, a fair bit of this is game-specific. However, as noted above, some elements are not--things like weighted choices; a convenience function for creating a centred, texture quad; angular calculations; access to the (expected) game "framework" class; etc.

Would it be acceptable for me to use this file, with the game-specific code stripped out?

24 minutes ago, kseh said:

I might as well ask too.

I have a few classed I've worked on over the past year that implements a TGUI dialog box such that it presents text to the player to read along the lines of the sort of thing you'd see in a JRPG (text typed to the box, click to speed up or proceed to next page). Selections can be made on text options at the end of the dialog returning the index of the selection that was made.

Would this be ok to use?

From how I understand the rules, it'd be ok but i would need to do whatever writing content that is to appear in the dialogs as well as whatever other logical responses (script programming) to user selections at the time of the contest.

yes, this is perfectly fine to use.  even the game mechanic components Thaumaturge is talking about is probably fine.  The entire point of the rule is basically just that you don't take an existing game, slap some new textures on it, and try to pass it off as an entry.   you should ideally be working to create something new, but that doesn't mean you can't cut out components from another existing game and use it there.  Basically think of it like this:  would unreal, unity, or gamemaker provide you similar tools/classes?  if so then it's fine to use.

Thaumaturge    3825
21 hours ago, slicer4ever said:

yes, this is perfectly fine to use.  even the game mechanic components Thaumaturge is talking about is probably fine.  The entire point of the rule is basically just that you don't take an existing game, slap some new textures on it, and try to pass it off as an entry.   you should ideally be working to create something new, but that doesn't mean you can't cut out components from another existing game and use it there.  Basically think of it like this:  would unreal, unity, or gamemaker provide you similar tools/classes?  if so then it's fine to use.

Ah, excellent, and thank you! (And thank you for clarifying the rule in general--that helps quite a bit, I think.) ^_^