• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KKTHXBYE

Google earth data

This topic is 406 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can somebody tell me if there is a way to download textures of a part of a world along with 3d data, to use it in your own application?>

Advertisement

You're probably outside the terms of service for Google Earth Engine. Microsoft's Terraserver is long gone, although there is a company running a (paid) global data service under that name.  I see a few more online, but all are paid services.

USGS can provide you with DOQ, DEM/3DEP data, but you'll need to handle the data processing yourself. You can download small areas yourself, but any bulk transfer they ask for you to send some hard drives and a small amount of cash. If you want both sets of data combined for the entire US you'll be sending them about 2TB of drives for elevations, 18TB for imagery, and because it was generated by the government you can use it for anything you'd like.  I imagine there are some websites that host all that data, so some searches might find it.  

The data won't fit on a mobile device, so you'll need to slice and dice the data and serve it to your apps yourself if you're not using a paid service.

Edited by frob

You're probably outside the terms of service for Google Earth Engine.

i already have sliced data of terrain, it was about +120k files in 1.6 GB, i wont mention how long it takes to copy that thing into device via usb. Maybe making one file out of that could do but then i have no way of using terrain colormap, since fseek wouldn't fit to my needs i would have jpeg files with different sizes, only terrain data is in raw bytes, changing jpeg to rawbytes adds  10 GB

If you want both sets of data combined for the entire US you'll be sending them about 2TB of drives for elevations

Wanted only heightmaps, along with textures itself i would run an algorithm which would put grass on top of urbanized areas. 

Edited by WiredCat

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!