How to write a game Introduction

Started by
5 comments, last by dotinfo 6 years, 10 months ago

Hello, I'm in need of guidelines on how to write a proper game description, I know how to write stories but I find it hard to make a short and catchy descriptions. I've look into a lot of game introduction they're pretty catchy and interesting but I do not know how to make something like that. I need advice on how to write a game intro.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

Moving you to our Writing for Games forum, you'll probably get better advice on this one there. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Moving you to our Writing for Games forum, you'll probably get better advice on this one there. :)

Thanks!

How exactly do you mean introduction? Are we talking an intro to the game that the player sees when they start the game? Marketing materials? A pitch to a production company?

I Create Games to Help Tell Stories

How exactly do you mean introduction? Are we talking an intro to the game that the player sees when they start the game? Marketing materials? A pitch to a production company?

Sorry I didn't word it correctly I'll edit it immediately thanks for reminding. What I mean the brief introduction about the game like a short catchy description when you publish it. Something like this

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you our hero: Skull Baby. Our hero has been locked in an eternal feud against the evil Slug Boogers, an intergalactic menace determined to take over the known universe. With Skull Baby’s trusty Booger Buster 5000 and relatively average jumping ability, it’s up to you to save the galaxy!

I'm not sure to what is this called I apologize again.

Seems like you're trying to write some manner of marketing copy: a short, efficient introduction to the idea of your game's world, characters, and mechanics. As with all writing there is a great deal of subjectivity here, but your intro will largely depend on what exactly you think is most important about your game.

If you had to pick exactly three things about your game to tell somebody in order to maximize the chance that they'd be interested in learning more, what would those things be? You need to distill the central hook of your game to as few elements as possible, then describe them evocatively.

Obviously it might not always be 3 things, it may be more or less - but the fewer the better. Introductions of any sort usually benefit from focus; getting across the most essential information as quickly and memorably as possible.

Ex: "Meet SKULL BABY: the most dangerous two-year-old the galaxy's ever seen. SKULL BABY is ready to take down the disgusting hordes of the Slug Boogers with an enormous arsenal of booger-busting weaponry, all while LEAPING jumping occasionally hopping a short distance up or down."

Having worked from your example and tweaked a bit, this sounds to me like a side-scrolling platformer shoot-'em-up, with emphasis on everything but 'platformer'. It wouldn't hurt to make the genre explicit, ending with "... in this action-packed side-scrolling shooter from <COMPANY NAME>".

I Create Games to Help Tell Stories

If you had to pick exactly three things about your game to tell somebody in order to maximize the chance that they'd be interested in learning more

That's a good idea, if I'll give them vague description they will not be interested in it, and if I put too many things, they might hate it or mistaken for a different game.

Edit: Yes, its a side-scrolling platformer shoot-'em-up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement