Tips for Beginner?

Started by
7 comments, last by paultrott 6 years, 10 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am very interested lately in Game Developing and Design, however, I have very small experience with coding and haven't done it since so it really counts as none knowledge or experience in coding/game development.

I have always been a gamer and always craved to find a game that I would like, which I can already picture, but never did, so I thought to myself, why not make one?

Anyways, any tips for with which programs/engines should I start learning on, cool tutorials?

Your personal experiences as beginners and sharing some of your work is welcomed :wub:

P.S: Some of the best games I have ever played attached.

uQEbiPr.jpg

5312.jpg

Advertisement

The FAQ is always a good place to start.

Hello to all my stalkers.

The FAQ is always a good place to start.

Thanks! found it pretty informative :)

I'm still new too. So far I've been busting though every tutorial I can get my hands on. On Lynda and Udemy YouTube been reading PDFs everything that I can. With unity there's a add on I think called adventure maker where coding isn't required so that's a plus for somone who doesn't know code and would rather focus on design,art and story instead.

Hey i remember the times when i was new to game development and you don't really know where to start, From personal experience and what I've seen i suggest at first finding an engine like unity for example and find a tutorial online with a step by step guide on what to do and how to do it, i suggest this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Brackeys

Just look for something simple at first and just get a game working even if its just a cube running forward towards a end point, also when you are making your game try and break every job you have to do down into smaller tasks, for example say you were making your character jump split it down into player animation and the script although i doubt you will be using animation in your first project.

Something else i should say is a lot of engines have a code language they work best with like unity works well with C#(C sharp) remember this doesn't mean other coding languages aren't compatible with your engine.

I hope i helped and good luck with your game!

Welcome to the world of game programming!

I started off with C when I was young. I enjoyed starting there before looking into higher-level languages, which you'll definitely use later for creating map tools, etc. Starting with C (and even C++) allows you to get a sense of how computers work with memory, pointers, etc. It will be less scary because it's common to hear that higher-level programmers have trouble trying C/C++ later. If you start with C or C++, the higher-level languages are easy to pick up. After that, I wouldn't recommend DirectX right away, but look into wrappers like SDL and SFML. Game logic is the same, so that should be the focus. There's no right or wrong way to begin, but my personal bias is starting with C or C++ helps you appreciate the majority of games written in those languages.

If you start with C or C++, the higher-level languages are easy to pick up.

Of course it is. You start with the highest mountain that you can find. All other hills are simple once you did that.

That doesn't mean you should start with climbing mount Everest, imho.

I found UDEMY to offer some great courses for beginners. I'm currently doing "The Unreal Engine Developer Course" and loving it. It's the structure of these online courses that I find really helpful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement