How are point clouds used?

Started by
11 comments, last by Embassy of Time 6 years, 10 months ago

Landscape erosion and similar is usually modelled by using height maps. Only once the calculations are finished would this be converted into polygons for eventual display. I don't know how well it would adapt to tectonic plate simulation. I suppose that if each sample on a height map had an x/y position that could be moved laterally, you can view that as a point cloud. But if you join them up, then you just have a standard polygonal system too. It's all just a bunch of 3D positions, just different ways of presenting them.

I have used that, more or less, up until now. But height maps will not do anymore, I need a "density map", i.e. a map that is fully functional in all three directions, so that, for example, a near-vertical wall can be hollowed out. Height maps only do 2D, at least the way I know them. And as a second act, it cannot be dependent on a flat landscape, as I am dealing with full, spherical planets, and possibly other-shaped objects later on. On the face of it, point clouds seem to be able to operate with little to no regard for what direction things point (pun unintended) in, allowing near or full spherical use, and they are not dependent on any fixed surface, since that is generated -from- the density map. I have no idea if what I write even makes sense right now...

[DEDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

Advertisement

Height maps are commonly used for planets by projecting them onto a sphere.

To be able to hollow things out, voxels are one representation, or at least the objects that we call voxels these days.

I suspect that your intended use for point clouds is much like what people use voxels for - a data structure indicating the presence or absence of something at a given point in space.

Height maps are commonly used for planets by projecting them onto a sphere.

To be able to hollow things out, voxels are one representation, or at least the objects that we call voxels these days.

I suspect that your intended use for point clouds is much like what people use voxels for - a data structure indicating the presence or absence of something at a given point in space.

Oh, yes, totally! I am looking into voxels, too, but the point cloud angle is looking just marginally better, due to some issues with voxels and curvature. But yes, that is generally the way I am going right now!

[DEDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement