• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nbertoa

State of the art real-time local reflection technique

This topic is 556 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, community.

What are the state of the art techniques to implement local reflections? HiZ Screen Space Cone Traced Reflections? Stochastic Screen Space Reflection? Any other?

Advertisement

Nope, it's all screespace raytracing. There's a dozen variations on sampling but it's all the same basic thing. Why, any goal in particular?

I need to add local reflections to my framework and I was researching about the different options. I begun with HiZ Screen Space Cone Traced Reflections from GPU 5 book, but apparently the book article is incomplete (https://www.gamedev.net/topic/658702-help-with-gpu-pro-5-hi-z-screen-space-reflections/). And about Stochastic Screen Space Reflections there are only slides without source code or detailed steps.

AFAIK this is about the state of the art for realtime light probes -- approaching SSRT kinds of details.

AFAIK this is about the state of the art for realtime light probes -- approaching SSRT kinds of details.

Performance is also super  :(

47ms on a 1080 (at 1080p) for anything close to a real game outside a "single room" type scenario. And it doesn't support dynamically moving objects. It's the classic "hey, over a defined sphere complexity grows more 2 dimensionally than 3 dimensionally!" Global Illumination trap. As long as you keep things local GI is actually easy right? Infinite bounces, no lightleak, easy easy easy. Then you realize the whole "global" part is important, that most games aren't rendering a cornell box, and the farther away your calculate GI the more your performance starts to tank geometrically. 

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try to understand the basic algorithm and then continue with HiZ Screen Space Cone Traced Reflections

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!