DirectX9 vs DirectX11 performance for video processing

Started by
1 comment, last by NikiTo 6 years, 10 months ago

goto realQuestion;

Hi! I spent many hours over various days searching for tutorials and examples of windows media foundation using the GPU. I found working examples only using Dx9(DXVA-HD and d3d9.h)
Folder of sample says it is windows 7, Visual Studio says it is for windows 8.1, I changed it to 10.0.14393.0, no headers got reloaded, I ignored all errors and it works as a charm...should I care?!
My personal situation is that I need to interface some of the APIs of Windows through C++. I don't wanna learn C++, I just wanna make it call the API from the dll-C++ and turn back the result to exe-C# where I am feeling more comfortable(after all work is done, not real-time/often dll-exe communication). It is about time! I have not time to dive deep into C++. I don't want to repeat the error with ASM. I almost built an OS in ASM and now I can't find a job with it- total loss of time.
My approach is: before starting to learn from some source code, first I choice the proper implementation/technology and test if the source code works. I found samples and even a short book about Dx9 but nothing implementing Dx11 for me to be able to use(i need a classic console application, not for the store, not for the cloud, not JS/HTML)

realQuestion:

I need to know if video decoding involves some processes that would go faster when DirectX11 is used over DirectX9. As far as I understand all that DirectX stuff to the moment, depending of the problem to solve, maybe sometimes it doesn't matter if the latest version of DirectX is used. If I talk from the same program to the GPU using Dx9 concurrently with Dx12, would this suppose a performance problem? I guess driver will handle it with no problem, but I have to ask to be sure.

If there is a difference between the performances(for video decoding), how big is it?

Advertisement

For most types of video decoding as you describe it, the version of DirectX will not matter.

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement