Need a way to combine both fighter and turn based combat

Started by
9 comments, last by Orymus3 6 years, 10 months ago

Hi,

I am trying to make a game that combines the two combat styles that being fighting games like mortal kombat and turn based combat like traditional and atb systems. I'm trying to have my game be pvp with superpowers. I am currently trying to use hex grids for movement and atb like gauges for who gets their turn and who can go. Thanks for any posts.

Advertisement

Would an action point system work? I'm imagining something where fighters start off with a fixed number of action points but moves cost different number of points depending on the fighter (so you still have certain strategies like kicks are easier to use with one fighter but punches easier to use with another).

Combos might be unique in a turn-based game in that they temporarily award more action points to a combatant. This might give you the same dynamic as when a skilled player gets the upper hand and is able to capitalize on and press their advantage, but it only lasts for a round or two.

I'd probably use initiative just as in many turn-based RPGs to determine who gets to attack first. You could add in & make visible variables like Stun, Fatigue and Balance, all of which rise/fall based on attacker and defender actions, and add that to your initiative calculation.

There's a lot of cool things you can do with this idea!

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

Cool idea.

Combos are tough. There are different ways to accomplish the task.

Luckily, we software engineers are great at it. This is called a design decision. First you have to determine a start point and end point.

For example? In a battle, when someone wins, what do they get? Additional attributes, statistical information, like a win/loss?

Another important thing to remember is any kind of battle system helps the player achieve larger goals in the game, whether it may be gaining experience or preparing for tougher levels, and/or combination, or obtaining money for better equipment,etc...

The end point determines what the gamer's get out of the battle, so you should design it to do multiple things that improve the situation of the player. The duration of the battle is also important.

Also, if you want battles one after another, that is called an "arena" game or mode, side quest or side mode module for an rpg or free explore game. To make an effective "system", like I think you are trying to do, you would design the user interface with that in mind, so players will enjoy it more.

As far as how you implement the system, what moves you create, is determined by characters, game play style, theme, etc...

There are multiple keywords there for you to research and explore. Hope that helps!!

Navjot S. Sandhu

CEO, CTO, Software Engineer Bs.C

Master of Engineering in Tech. Innovation Mgmt.

Master of Computer Science in HCI

Both of these help very much. Thank you for the end points I always thought normal exp would be enough but now I know I need to expand on that area, and for the action points I hope to to implement them with the atb says with multiple gauges with each refill you get more points depending on the moves you choose to put in each category like attack or defense moves and techniques. Also before each battle you choose up to 4 moves for each category except for items so you can change your attack and defense style per battle and switch out new moves when you get them.

If you are going to work on a fighting game, especially one with an aim towards a turn based system, then I feel that you would be very well served to spend some time watching basic martial arts content on YouTube. Some of the Western sword fighting styles may be very helpful in providing some inspiration, especially training content with Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) focus. Look for stuff about Tempo and movement, and trainers who break moves down into individual steps and talk about your options and decisions as you're in any given position or point within the move.

I have often thought about a PVP fighting game where you start with a few Action Point moves queued up, and then the fight slowly plays out with the user making a decision 2-3 'actions' in the future.

So the player would open with "High guard", followed by "Half step", and then combat would actually begin. Opponent would have entered their A and B move, and the players decide their C move based on what they see when the other player's A move is actually shown.

I figured the combat could play out in a near bullet time like fashion, which could readily cover issue of lag in an online battle system.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Anyone mentioned Hand of Fate already? No? So you might have a look on Hand of Fate that is a more or less turn based card game in the overworld with action combat in some situations like "You saw a troop of bandits" fighting against those bandits in an Hack n Slay manor or "A temple with traps occured" you will have to Jump n Run through that temple without being hit

I will have to look into both of these ways. I was hoping to give the game feel like a martial arts match between players. This file attached is a rough outline of some of the powers and how they're divided. [attachment=36305:IMG_2420.PNG]

You could try something where you do turn-based movements, and then when two characters collide they go into a fighting game mode. That would add a lot of strategy as you're trying to get certain characters to battle others.

I'm trying to make this a 1 person team battle scenario.

Recently worked on something similar.

Given the brand (undisclosed) it made sense to make the fighting area a 3x3 map where you could combine 'moves' to both attempt to move along the grid AND perform attacks.

Attacks were dependent on your relative position with the opponent (if you're straight under the opponent, you can throw an uppercut, etc.)

It was a fascinating concept to be honest...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement