I need a non-game development board for Android.

Started by
4 comments, last by MarkS_ 6 years, 10 months ago
Does anyone know of one? I have a project in the works, but am having serious issues with the tutorials found via Google as well as Android Studio's layout editor. I don't want to SPAM this board with non-game dev beginner questions if at all possible.
Advertisement

Stackoverflow

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Stackoverflow

I'm really not very happy with many of the responses I've seen there. It seems to be overly moderated with zero tolerance for new questions and vague rules. Most replies seem rude and dismissive, with the vast majority telling the OP to use Google. I've avoided joining this far and see very little reason to change now.

I'm hoping for something along the lines and design of this board.

[edit]

I don't want to come across as dismissive, nor do I want to seem like I'm coming here to trash another site, but I want it clear why I'm not taking that advice. Stackoverflow comes up as the #1 search result for nearly any technical search I've done on Google. In addition to what I've already posted, too many times I've see a moderator close a thread with, "This topic is a duplicate of (link). Closed." When I follow the link, I inevitably find a thread several years old, not 100% on topic and usually unanswered. How does that benefit anyone? You've shut down any attempt from that point out for the OP to get his/her question answered on that site. I get a very unfriendly vibe there.

Without derailing this thread too much, StackOverflow (and StackExchange in general) isn't a forum or a discussion board. It's a question-and-answer site that tries to build up a searchable database of canonical questions and their objective answers. That's why they have guidelines in place about repeated questions (which, yes, don't always fulfill their theoretical aim as well as they could), and that's why it's almost certainly not the kind of thing you're looking for if you're looking to have discussions and a community like here, just with more non-game Android developers.

You might try the Android Enthusiasts SE site instead. The SE model works a little better on sites that are way smaller and less-trafficked than SO (which has started to demonstrate some of the problems of scale that come with the model they've chosen). I still doubt it's what you want, since it's still fundamentally not a place for abstract discussion, not a place for re-hashing an old question in a new form (only for updating that old question), and not specifically about Android developers.

For specific questions and general hand-holding there are enough Android developers on the site who could help. Ask your question in the Mobile & Console area if you don't want to clutter up the site.

Some of us are a little picky and expect people to do some research first, but generally you'll get answers and discussion soon enough.

Thanks for the replies.

Some of us are a little picky and expect people to do some research first, but generally you'll get answers and discussion soon enough.

I would as well and have been doing quite a bit of research, which led me to ask this question. One main issue that I have is that the tutorials for the layout editor in Android Studio all seem to be a year or more old, but the editor has changed significantly in that time so that they are no longer 100% accurate. Coupled with the Android development documentation switching between the layout editor and XML editor for UI tasks and my head is spinning. I don't know where to start. This is one of the most frustrating system to develop for that I have experienced to date.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement