Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
george7378

Diffuse lighting for water shader

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a water (pixel) shader which works like this:

- Sample a normal map twice using two sets of moving coordinates. Average these to get the normal.
- Sample reflection and refraction maps using screen-space coordinates which are perturbed slightly according to the normal.
- Add a 'murky' colour to the refraction colour based on depth.
- Interpolate between reflection and refraction maps based on the fresnel term (i.e. how shallow the viewing angle is).
- Add specular highlights using the sampled normal.

http://imgur.com/ALYmL53.jpg
http://imgur.com/2cGc8kg.jpg

I'm liking the results but I feel like there should be a diffuse lighting element too, so that waves created by the normal map can be seen when you aren't looking in the direction of the Sun. This is simple enough on a solid object (I'm already doing it on the terrain in the above pictures) but I'm not sure of the most accurate way to do it for water. Should I apply a diffuse factor to both reflections and refractions? Should I do it the same way as I would for solid objects?

Anyone with experience creating their own water shader, some input would be very helpful :)

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but from the images you linked it looks like you're using a single color for the entire sky. Before hacking the water lighting calculations, I would try to replace it with something more "interesting", like a proper texture of a clear sky. It should help at least somewhat, because if you use a homogenous sky, the direction of the reflection vector won't really matter, you will fetch the same color regardless. With a proper sky texture that won't be the case, because different parts of the sky are colored different kinds of blue.

Your missing Fresnel, here is a image showing a very simple Fresnel work around.

[spoiler]

tvPZiGv.png

[/spoiler]

This is simply using a blend between white and blue, nothing else. In your shader the blue will be the part you have and the white will be a reflection map.

The work around I use here is the same as a matcap shader, it's the old way of doing it. If you look around the web you will find much better Fresnel functions.