Sign in to follow this  
Smarkus

DX12 [DirectX 12] Need help setting up a directx 12 project with visual studio 17

iedoc    2525

I think you should be looking to learn directx 11. Directx 12 does not bring anything new to the table, and in fact has *less* than directx 11 (by design). Directx 11 is going to be so much easier for you to set up and understand. I say this because it sounds like your new to directx and i'm just trying to save you some time

Smarkus    141

I've actually already ordered this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Programming-DirectX-Computer-Science/dp/1942270062

So, I was just trying to get my hands dirty and get ready to study the book. I mean I can't really switch now that I've already ordered the book. Also, I'm in Japan and some how the Amazon site here said that i'll get the book that I ordered the next day, whereas if I ordered the same book by the same author, just the DirectX 11 version, it'd take 2 to 3 months to ship. So I had no choice. But I'd appreciate if you told me some links or resources that explain how I set it up.

I think you should be looking to learn directx 11. Directx 12 does not bring anything new to the table, and in fact has *less* than directx 11 (by design). Directx 11 is going to be so much easier for you to set up and understand. I say this because it sounds like your new to directx and i'm just trying to save you some time

Well, Microsoft does have the D3D12 documentation (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn899120(v=vs.85).aspx) which does have a run through ... though realistically I would probably wait for the book you ordered as it will likely be easier to follow.

Though I would agree on D3D12 being a bad choice for someone just starting out, its much lower level and a lot of the "automated" things in D3D11 have to be manually accounted for in D3D12. So you may feel like you are drowning with the huge amount you will be taking in to pick it up.

I would say the book you got is one I would recommend though, Frank Luna does usually do a good job of covering things (heh I learnt DirectX 9 years back through his old book, also have the DX12 one on my read list for sometime soon) 

Edited by GibbonThatCodes

markypooch    1315

I was not a particularly big fan of this publication. I've bought all of his books since his 90C hit the shelves. My problem is from his DX11 book to his DX12 the whole thing felt hastily put together with D3D12 moreso appended to it, rather than a fresh re-write. (I think the editor even misses a few spots when changing references to D3D11 to 12 in some cliff notes O_o)

However, for someone who has never owned his previous books, I think you won't gripe as much as I did about it. Though I was quite disappointed that he didn't delve into multi-threaded design in the advanced section. He shoos it off as something you can study about on your own, which fair enough, but it felt kinda cheap.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By AxeGuywithanAxe
      I wanted to get a gauge on how everyone is handling resource descriptors and bind slots in the new API. Under directx11 I would allow the compiler to generate its own bind slots, and look it up at runtime. I wanted to see if people using directx12/Villanova have switched to explicit slots for easier descriptor set management, or are still using the prior version, and burning through descriptors
    • By Inline Engine
      Hello Everybody,

Our professional experienced hobby team (5 active members) is looking for Volunteers to take a seat in the development of a next generation C++ 3D Game Engine.

The minimum requirement is to have passion about games/game engine programming.

The Engine:

- Cross Platform & Clean Code Design ( For now we only want to aim PC & Console )

- Fully Customizable Graph Based DirectX12 Graphics Engine, (PBR is in progress)

- Own Editor + UI system + Math library

- (Will be) multithreaded with Job Based System like in Uncharted 4's engine

Roles we are looking for now: (Later will be more)
      - Editor & UI & Tools Programmer

- Generalist Programmer

Picture from the current early state of the editor:
      https://pasteboard.co/eb4hfgGM3.png

Source code: https://github.com/petiaccja/Inline-Engine

If you have the passion to build game engines / games write an e - mail to: InlineEngine@gmail.com
    • By mark_braga
      I am working on making a DX12, Vulkan framework run on CPU and GPU in parallel.
      Decided to finish the Vulkan implementation before DX12. (Eat the veggies before having the steak XDD)
      I have a few questions about the usage of ID3D12CommandAllocator:
      Different sized command lists should use different allocators so the allocators dont grow to worst size Does this mean that I need to know the size of the command list before calling CreateCommandList and pass the appropriate allocator? Try to keep number of allocators to a minimum What are the pitfalls if I create a command allocator per list? This way each allocator will never grow too large for the list. In addition, there will be no need for synchronization. Most of the examples I have seen just use a pool of allocators and do fence based synchronization. I can modify that to also consider command list size but before that any advice on this will really help me to understand the internal workings of the ID3D12CommandAllocator in a better way.
    • By _void_
      Hello guys,
      I would like to use MinMax filtering (D3D12_FILTER_MAXIMUM_MIN_MAG_MIP_POINT) in compute shader.
      I am trying to compile compute shader (cs_5_0) and encounter an error: "error X4532: cannot map expression to cs_5_0 instruction set".
      I tried to compile the shader in cs_6_0 mode and got "unrecognized compiler target cs_6_0". I do not really understand the error as cs_6_0 is supposed to be supported.
      According to MSDN, D3D12_FILTER_MAXIMUM_MIN_MAG_MIP_POINT should "Fetch the same set of texels as D3D12_FILTER_MIN_MAG_MIP_POINT and instead of filtering them return the maximum of the texels. Texels that are weighted 0 during filtering aren't counted towards the maximum. You can query support for this filter type from the MinMaxFiltering member in the D3D11_FEATURE_DATA_D3D11_OPTIONS1 structure".
      Not sure if this is valid documentation as it is talking about Direct3D 11. D3D12_FEATURE_DATA_D3D12_OPTIONS does not seem to provide this kind of check.
      Direct3D device is created with feature level D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_12_0 and I am using VS 2015.
      Thanks!
    • By NikiTo
      I found this for DX11: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb232912
      I am not sure how to use this with Dx12. It doesn't complain about the HLSL and I use:
      m_commandList->IASetVertexBuffers(0, 0, nullptr);
      and it compiles and runs, but still can't see my triangle.

Rest of the code shown in the link I don't know how to use it for Dx12.
  • Popular Now