What is it with the rarity of female antropomorphic characters?

Started by
11 comments, last by Gian-Reto 6 years, 10 months ago

The thing is, in the first Beyond it was really sad or peaceful most of the time. I mean really, can you imagine song like this fitting into the new game:

And that deal with outright stealing from the pig, the swearing, the innuendo. I mean, it's not like Jade wasn't a cute petite Asian tomboy and Mei a catgirl but it was all tasteful and realistic-ish with outfits and behavior. Beyond 2 trailer is balls to the wall with edge and trying to be too cool for school. Like if you landed on Hyllis tomorrow you'd fit right in after getting used to sapiens other than homo, if you landed in Beyond 2 you'd wonder WTF is this planet full of assholes.

And that's in addition to other problems, like why do they have jetpacks (Pey'j in the game had jet bootz, but they were his life's magnum opus), why are there hovercrafts/hoverbikes everywhere (there weren't any on Hyllis and Alpha Section can be assumed to have been galaxy's top level of tech), why do main characters fight the police, why is police evil/stupid (big part of first game was Hyllian army and people being good guys, you never endangered civilians), etc.

Hyllis was a calm mining planet full of nature, animals and hard working honest people, and this is.. I don't even understand. This looks like Prey 2017 or Resident Evil 7 level of reboot almost. It's like Scrapland and Fifth Element and some edginess under Beyond label, I'm not too hopeful for it. I guess it might be worth it for the publisher, these reboots were highly acclaimed, but fans of first Beyond who aren't into edginess will be left disappointed.

And there rarely were action scenes like these. Ending and some optional pearls had such scenes but most of first Beyond was stealth, snapping pics, racing, flying around in the hovercraft, etc. Apparently writers didn't know how to continue after first Beyond but the ending had Pey'j grow a DomZ tumor on his hand and it could deal with that, or with DomZ on another planet (they were interplanetary) or with fighting Alpha Section on another planet (ditto) or with Jade's new powers, but instead we got this.

Back on topic of female furries: in Jade Empire there are fox spirits (these games are too kind to us :x) at one point in one of the celestial levels, it's not anime but it is kinda an Asian themed game.

Advertisement

Well, I know next to nothing from first game (so go light on the spoilers please ;) ), but I guess they HAD to move the lore forward somehow. Or at least the writers might have felt that way. I have seen that go both ways, especially when done out of desparation over falling player numbers *cough*Warhammer Fantasy (R.I.P.)*cough*...

The long hiatus between the 2008 trailer and the 2017 one might be also down to a complete overhaul and rewrite of the whole story for the second game? Probably some high up bean counter felt the initial concept, and the first game didn't really fit their focus group well enough?

But as you said it back to the topic.

See, I am sure there are positive examples. I am just not sure why they are so rare. Especially the sexy full furry type of female antropomorph, which can fit perfectly well into the waifu stereotype female characters in many games have to fit in (as long as they are not the main character).

Is it just the game dev bean counters making the shots lacking imagination and their focus testing not really asking the right question, or is there really a study somewhere that shows antropomorphs to be less effective as waifu type characters than fully human girls? Is the average (focus tested) gamer antropomorphophobic? Or just antropomorphogynophobic? If you get my drift here? :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement